Is it really true that everything uploaded to the internet will be there forever?

Not the Internet itself, but some device might have your data, so watch out.

Most of it is somewhere--but only dedicated computer experts would be able to find something that is 20 years old. It really depends on what it is and where it went. On defunct websites, it's much harder--i.e., say you uploaded an incriminating picture to MySpace 25 years ago. It's unlikely to be somewhere easy to find. 

Now anything put on YOUR current computer will pretty much stay there until your computer hard drive dies. But the internet is a lot more fluid. 

• garry

no its only on the computer you sent it to , aint on there hard drive unless the have sent it to others to us . the net doesnt store software , only computers do .

• John P

Possibly not 'for ever' (years, decades, etc) but it might well be out of your control, depending on the conditions of your contract, etc.

Before I hit the 'submit' button for a comment I'm submitting on websites, I'll treat it as if an employer is looking over my shoulder. What I say could affect job opportunities and anything else in my life.

Assume whatever you put on the internet is out there forever. I stay away from Facebook and Twitter.

I use the same principles when uploading data.

no           .

• Shadow

Forever is a very long time. Basically, once it is on there, there is a possibility that someone might save it on their own computer, maybe upload it at a later stage or maybe it gets duplicated some other way.

It all depends on three main factors.

1 - Time.

When it was uploaded. Eventually old files become very difficult to find as others have popped up with similar keywords that are ranked higher than older ones.

2 - Popularity.

How often it is viewed, searched for and so on. Every time it is accessed, the file moves up in ranks of popularity which increases the chances of it lasting a very long time.

3 - Platform.

Every platform has it own rules. After a certain period, or from a certain rank, even the privacy and data storage terms, a file will be discarded in order to free up space. 

Due to the way the internet is, it's always better to consider that what is uploaded will stay there unless the site that is hosting the file removes it. If someone else has downloaded it, then there is a possibility of it being re-uploaded at a later stage.

So the best would be to think twice, even thrice, before uploading something.

That seems to be the case at times. In fact, whatever you put on the Internet becomes a part of your digital footprint and can come back to haunt you later on, either when you’re getting into a new relationship, entering a college or searching for a job. It’s therefore smarter to not put anything online that could come back to bite you in the *** in the future. Because you never know who may read it and if that person has a good enough memory to remember certain things.

Sites have the option to remove content, but there is no telling who may have either saved it to their computer or downloaded a copy of that content prior to it being officially removed.

I mean you got directors getting fired for tweets that they made at least ten years ago.

Yes and no there are so many lies you can use it makes little difference. For example porn for crying out loud, they are making snuff videos of naked children real and unreal, millions of other stuff too. Unless something is done it will last forever not only in minds of the people that watch it but in the "cloud."  It is little spoken of yet it is something billions of people watch. It means nothing to me I can live without it.

• Kerri

Not forever.  Some day the earth will explode or disintegrate and then it will all be gone.