Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 2 months ago

Does martial arts really build confidence?

Psychologists say it builds character and confidence in individuals however I’ve done karate and other arts over years but still suffer from extremely low confidence and self esteem issues.

I cannot talk to people at work or struggle to speak up. I get bullied when I go out by thugs. The other day a young man threatened to kill me with a knife and pulled out a blade.

I wasted money and time I think. How does confidence actually come from it?

• 2 days ago

O yeah, 1000000%

Any hobby or sport (especially cooperative sports) can help you build confidence. Martial arts and independent sports where you mostly compete against yourself for self improvement are probably more likely to build confidence in someone who might not flourish in a team sports atmosphere. Even when sparring you are essentially competing against yourself since you are training for self-improvement. Of course if you take it to a more competitive level then you are probably getting a confidence boost already and have the level of skill it takes to do that. 

Whether it’s boxing, Learing to play an instrument or weightlifting. Martial arts and combat sports is not unique in boosting self esteem. The key is finding something that you can do well at and the very act of improving at it boosts your confidence. 

That doesn’t work for everyone, but it can help.

At first martial arts makes you humble. Then, you later progress and continue to get better and that builds confidence. 

All by itself, no.  Confidence only comes from one place, and that place is within you.  Studying martial arts can build confidence, but it's not a miracle cure.

I used to be just like you.  In school, I was a scrawny kid who sucked at sports and got picked on and bullied with dismal regularity.  Forget the idea of asking girls out, I wasn't even able to make eye contact with them.  Then my folks enrolled my in Kung Fu class, and it all changed.

It wasn't the classes themselves or the combat moves I learned that helped me build confidence, it was the fact that I had found something I could do and the fact that I could get good at it.  That was the spark that lit my fire of confidence, and without it I would probably be that same social outcast to this day.

From my experience, no. I grew up with a father who lived his whole life through Kyokushin meaning I had to do it. I was exceptional and knocked out everyone in my weight class. Kids came to the gym with no confidence and still left without it...What I'm trying to say most of all is it all depends on you!!!

• Paul

confidence is a by-product ..if your in it strictly as your top priority as such..

u need to re value why u signed up in the first place.

It can for many people.

• Bon

Martial art does not directly build confidence. What martial art does is present you with obstacles for you to overcome. You have to cultivate the fortitude and perseverance to complete this obstacle course.

There is a reason why the word "self" is there in self-confidence and self-esteem. The reality is no one can give you them. You have to build them from within through overcoming challenges such that you can look back on the experience and realize that you did it and that you have within you all that is necessary to succeed.  True self-confidence comes from  accomplishments. Fake confidence comes from ignorance and arrogance.

You claim to have tried several martial arts and it did nothing for your confidence, but the real problem is you gave up on them all instead of staying the course. You were waiting for someone to hand you confidence which is never going to happen. You claim to not being able to speak to your co-workers, but did you while training in martial art practice speaking to your classmate or did you just did nothing more than go with the flow and staying mute? You wasted all those opportunities, so the REAL question you should be asking yourself is why? You went to all that trouble to sign up and attend class, so why didn't you try to get the most out of it? And why did you quit? Why did you hop from one school to another? And why would you think you would have self-confidence to face off against someone who pulls a knife on you when you never stuck with any one school long enough to perfect your skills?

• Imp

The physical aspect doesn't always build confidence. 

Try stoicism it teaches one not be upset over things not in our control and is an effective way to treat depression without meds.

• Kerri

There is no guarantee of getting confidence from a martial art.  Try a different martial art with a different teacher.  There are martial arts beyond the Asian martial arts.  Try fencing or firearms, those are excellent martial arts.