Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsTVs · 2 months ago

Why does my TV make this noise?

I've had a 32 inch Insignia TV for 8 years. Recently, when I first turn it on, it makes this high pitched squeal for several seconds. I tried to mute it and it made no difference so it's not the speakers. What could be causing this?

Short answer: capacitors. They are in the power supply/board and after some years certain TVs will start making weird noises because of them. You shouldn't try to replace them yourself unless you have soldering experience.

Maybe some electrolytic capacitor has run dry in smps power supply board.

• khalil

usually in the power board....

maybe the ferrite core of the chopper transformer (yellow) is loose.

knock with a pencil for checking

BE CAREFUL WHEN WORKING.

How about taking it to a TV repair shop that offers free estimates? 

That's what sensible people would do. 

Possibly the power supply for the backlight. This is the only high voltage element in a flat screen TV, and transformers can start to squeal. Generally these 'hum' but they can also emit a high pitched sound.

I get this in my ageing microwave as well.

Maybe it has a cooling fan inside that's going out.

Does it have a DVD player in it?

Other than those it could be caused by a capacitor getting ready to burn out.

It's an 8yo low-end TV.

I've never heard a flat-screen TV do that. That's something that used to happen with tube TVs, the squarer ones that weren't flat but were usually as deep as they were tall, like a box. That sound comes from vibrations caused by the tubes heating up, the glass resonating the sound. It also could happen when you turned the TV off as the tubes cooled down. Since flat-screen TVs don't have tubes, they don't do it.