Value of a HS diploma? ?

Has the HS diploma lost all value? Will it eventually become obsolete, no jobs available or will new jobs be generated that you can do with a HS diploma. For example some jobs may be new and Higher education may not have time to respond.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

I think having a high school diploma has lesser, or no value when it comes to employment, but a lot of value when it comes to academics. By finishing high school you could go to college, or university, and by getting a higher education this may have greater value, for employment.

You could also try to self teach yourself, so you should NOT have any excuses why you can't learn more.

I have a college education, and I am self taught too. More opportunities can present itself to me, and if you are the opposite of me then less, or no opportunities will present itself to you.

• Alex
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

To be blunt, I would never hire someone without a diploma for anything more than pushing a broom or a lawn mower. 

What does having a diploma say about someone?  That they stuck with something unpleasant through completion.

What does NOT having a diploma say about someone? Anyone of a number of perceptions:  They are a lazy quitter, have social issues and unable to get along with other people; have attitude issues and unable to deal with structure and authority; are irresponsible and got pregnant or got someone pregnant; would rather get drunk or high than do something productive.

So rather than looking at what is the value of a diploma, look at it from the point of view of what is the perception of NOT having the diploma.  And honestly, none of those perceptions may be true about someone w/o a diploma, but that is the unfortunate thing about perceptions is that it doesn't matter if it's true or not.  People still base decisions and make judgements on them.

• Scott
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Having a high school diploma shows that you can start something and finish it. It is the bare minimum level of education for many employers. There are lots of jobs you can do with only a high school diploma - the trades, for example. Since the US has lost a lot of manufacturing jobs over the last few decades, many of the jobs requiring just a diploma have disappeared. But with the service-based economy now, a high school diploma should get you in the door, but may limit your future growth as the more high paying positions require a college degree.

• 2 months ago

It doesn't matter what jobs are out there, the application from the guy with a HS diploma will always be closer to the top of the stack than the application from the guy without one.  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Lifetime avg earnings of a HS diploma versus a dropout is HUGE.

But a 4 year degree is even better.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

High school diploma hasn't lost all value.   It at least shows someone can finish something and can probably do basic addition/subtraction and read/write.   There are lots of entry level jobs where these skills are required.    Without a HS diploma you are more likely to get jobs like janitorial, manual labor and less likely to get jobs like receptionist, cashier, etc. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.