American moving to ireland?

I’ve come to think due to the election the bs and everything else in this country that I want to move to Ireland. I am American citizen my father is from Ireland. I guess the rest of my family can stick it out here I unfortunately don’t feel I can... I am just about to finish my associates degree in human services at community college. I’m 24 nearly 25 I know that’s not great for this age . I have 6 grand . What would be the best way I can go about this? How much time would it take and how much money would I need? Also with an alssicate drgree in human services would that even get me anywhere in Ireland?  For me ireland has always been where I think my soul is , I can’t take it in America I’m not happy here and. All the riot and protesting and hatred has just gotten to me all the hatred I don’t want to do it anymore please help how I can go about this .. what county would be the cheapest to live in 

11 Answers

  • 2 days ago

    Bad idea. Whatever people say, ireland is a post collonial disorganized country. I live here and i want out. Nothing works, public transport is expensive and unreliable, owning a car is even more expensive and lots of people are rude for no apparent reason. Why not move state or go to south america or even somewhere else in europe?

  • Anonymous
    1 week ago

    Republic of Ireland is better than Northern Ireland safer and its where the Irish natives mostly live the Roman Catholic  Irish people.

  • T'rone
    Lv 6
    2 weeks ago

    Hopefully you are not living with your parents.  If so, the first step is renting a room or to continue your education.  You aren't going to make it just by moving to Ireland.  I lived in 9 states and the worst people in this country are the leftist who are the one's rioting.

  • Orla C
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    As long as your father is from Ireland and you have the documentation to prove it, in theory you can get your Irish passport and live and work in any of the EU member states. In practice you need to learn the language of the country you want to live in, and have other documentation regarding maritial status, education, etc. But it's important to note that if you are registered by your father as a foreign birth, you can simply apply for an Irish passport. I'm not sure how you do it from the US, but your best bet would be to contact the nearest Irish Embassy or Consulate to you in the US and ask them. And you will not need any residency permit or visa to live in the Republic of Ireland (if that's where your dad is from) if you have an Irish passport, but you might for other EU member states should you decide to relocate, they all have their own ways of doing it.

    I'm afraid an Associates Degree is not recognised outside of the US. Also, what with the Covid situation, and many businesses going bust, moving to Ireland and trying to find a job is not a good idea at the moment. I would stay where you are for now, try to get at least a Bachelors Degree in something useful (am not really sure what 'human services' covers), and then you'd have a comparable qualification, and hopefully by the time you're there, the Covid situation will have cleared up and life and the economy will resume. 

    The money you have might get you budget accommodation for a few months now, but unless you can find a job, you won't be able to stay in it, and that's the clincher, especially if you don't have qualifications that are recognised. 

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    your a irish in america thinking youll "stick it out" in robbing us of land and other property?

    oh yes your kind waves a grubby "citizen ship paper" in our face and says grabbing our crap is your "right".

    put your real name up we wanna lay bets whether you make it to the airport!


  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    If your father is from Ireland then he holds an Irish passport and if that is so your father would have registered you when born on the Irish Foreign Births Register so the best way would be to apply for an Irish passport...if not/never registered that would require you to prove what you say with documents that enables you to live/work in Ireland or the UK ( free movement for Irish/British citizens to live/work/study on either island)

    If you find your father is not Irish and so you can't do that then ROI allow Americans working holiday visas, which are temporary for 1 year however then you go home.

    There are no work visas available for someone with a basic degree, no work experience in what I can only assume is Human Resources ( HR),  if you mean by Human Services is really HR you know nothing at all about Irish laws, Irish employment, H&S practice etc basically have nothing at all to offer that Ireland needs and there is no shortage of HR staff.

    I also think you need to learn more about ROI they are in a political mess right now with 5 months of no leadership, the UK leaving the EU ( the UK is their biggest trade partner), facing huge additional annual membership fees to the EU ( which they don't have ) and now because the electorate couldn't decide which party to vote for they have been forced to select the 3 separate political parties with the most votes to 'work together' to run the country and these parties are totally different..proportional representation never works espeically when it is forced. ROI have a very high unemployment, prices are very high, rents are very expensive, the Irish in general are highly educated, many jobs offered require Irish language and certainly HR jobs would and many Irish commute weekly to the UK to work simply as there are few jobs offered in Ireland and many of those are part time.

  • hihi!
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Marry an Irish girl. Problem solved. I accidentally married into Russia and hate to leave!! Sane over here. No riots, no Chfump, people don't talk politics, strive to be intellectual, not low ghetto.

  • 2 months ago

    You don't have enough money to study there. 

    You don't have any skills / qualifications to get a work visa. 

    And you have no other visa options. 

    Basically - you can't move to Ireland on any visa.

    Did your father have citizenship? You might want to explore that route if so.

  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Which part of Ireland North or South?

    We don't have associates degrees in the U.K.,  what is Human Services , does it relate to any U.K. business?

    You have not done any research have you?

  • 2 months ago

    Well first, a lot of this hatred will fade away in sixty days since it is politically motivated.  Second, you had better check how hard it is to get work permits for foreigners to work in Ireland.  They probably want their own citizens to work, not foreigners, so any work you can get could be at poverty level wages.  Third, keep in mind that America is the number one nation in the world that people want to emigrate to.  150 million people would kill or die to come here.  Fourth, despite what you hear, America is one of the most tolerant nations on the planet. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.