Why can't I tell the difference in picture quality between a 1080p TV and a 4K TV ?

Both Television sets are 55 inches one is a ONN 55 inch Walmart brand 1080p the other is TCL 55 inch 4k.  I can watch the exact same movies or videos streaming or physical media and I see no difference. 

Update:

No I am giving it a 144p feed or signal boy a lot of genius people on here.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Human eyes cannot see the difference between 1080 and 4k on consumer screen systems. It's just a marketing scam to get you to buy more, just like christmas

• 1 month ago

There’s a lot of factors that could be why you’re not noticing a difference.

For one, if you are feeding a 1080p SDR picture to both... then you’ll see a similar picture because it’s displaying the same standard color gamut, with the same lower peak brightness requirement. The only thing the other TV is doing is upscaling the 1080p to 4K, and that alone isn’t really going to pop off the screen.

It also depends on what your 4K TV can do. If it supports a wide color gamut, offers full array local dimming, the peak brightness, and what HDR formats it supports can also determine how great of a picture you can get. A lot of people buy a cheap 4K TV thinking it’s going to wow them, not knowing that it’s barely tapping into the world of 4K HDR. 

• Shadow
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

If the media you are watching is 1080p, it won't look any different if played on a 4k TV because it's 1080p.

If the media is 4k, then it will be downscaled to 1080p and you will see a difference.

• 2 months ago

because you aren't watching anything being broadcast in 4k

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

They are too small for you to be able to see a difference!   

For 4k to have an advantage over HD, the screen needs to be at least 65 inches.     

Since I don't like screens larger than 45 inches, I will never have a use for 4k or any higher resolution. 

• khalil
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

i think you watched both on hd channels.

if you compare  a 4k channel on a 4k tv and an hd channel on an hd (or 4k) tv, you will see a difference between a 17y girl and a 71y woman!

• P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Two reasons.

1. You need to ensure the source feed is actually 4k.  Unfortunately most Walmart demos will just use a 1080p feed on a 4k TV.  

2.  55 inches is kind of small for a 4k TV.   To really see the difference you need a 65 inch or bigger 4k tv.  This is why the trend is to go bigger since there's more physical detail to see with the bigger TVs.  Pixels are often too dense to see much of a difference on the smaller tvs.

• Dze
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

the actual video has to 'be in' a certain format .. the tv doesnt make a 1080 video into 4k, it has to be a 4k video .. so a 4k tv is 'capable' of reproducing higher quality vid although mich of what your going to be watching isnt in 4k .. hope that explained it ..

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.