Why are there so many pro bono lawyers for illegal aliens but not ones who defend police brutality, asset forfeiture or  the constitution? ?

I was looking for a pro bono lawyer to help defend a constitutional issue but every lawfirm I found was for illegal aliens. 

It would appear the pro bono industry is 99.9% illegal alien related from what i have experienced. Is there some kind of advocacy group that is paying these legal fees. 

There are so many constitutional rights being violated every day, it seem odd that all the pro bono is focus like a laser on illegal aliens are not something like police brutality or civil forfeiture on people who did nothing wrong, etc...  

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

There are, but not at law firms.  They work at places like the ACLU.  The reason you didn't find them was that you only looked at law firms.

• 3 months ago

There is no such thing as a pro bono lawyer.  All lawyers have families to feed and mortgages to pay.  Lawyers take perhaps, ONE case a year, sometimes two, on a pro bono basis, and they do not take those off the street.  The cases they take merit free work.  Those who represent illegal aliens are "immigration" lawyers.  Your issue is not an immigration matter.  For what you want, you are going to have to pay for a lawyer.  Those are not the types of cases that are presented to a lawyer for consideration on a pro bono basis.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.