How come cassette tape sounds so much better than cds?

I still have an old cheap Sony cassette tape player, and I tried out an old music tape cassette which I taped a long ago. And it sounds really good, you can hear every instrument unlike the dull muffled poorly mastered cds that I have...

Is it true that many tape cassettes sounded better than cds with a much fuller deeper sound?

• John P

Much depends on which tape player and which CD player you have. I remember the same argument when listening to LPs compared with tapes. 

• snafu

Old tape cassettes may have a particular quality to them but in terms of fidelity I can’t imagine them to be better than cd’s unless those cd’s were recorded or transferred poorly in the first place.

Please believe what Sony and Philips engineers had said, and the technical specification written on the user manual.

Although the output of the Digital to Analog convertor is "stair step wave" (especially high audio frequency above 10Khz), with proper capacitor filtering circuitry a good CD player is able to reproduce the original natural pure analogue sinusoidal wave.

An analogy is the "12V Direct Current" to "230/110V Alternate Current" convertor, although it uses 50 or 60Hz square wave (for power efficiency), the output of this convertor is actually 50 or 60Hz pure analogue sinusoidal wave that most electric appliance required (the engineer who design this DC to AC convertor told me)

A cassette produces dreadful sound quality compared to the alternatives.

If this is a serious question the problem lies with your CDs or the equipment  you use to play them.

• lare

i am afraid that as you age (not the cassette), you lose high audio frequency hearing.  Cassettes have very limited HF response due to the slow tape speed.  CDs have full audio frequency spectrum, so if you think the Cassette is better, then you must not be hearing the higher audio frequencies.  this may also be the reason for "muffled" sound when listening to CDs.  you should consider getting a hearing test, because if CDs sound muffled, your hearing may be seriously impaired. Another reason i feel this way is because you  seem to not be able to hear tape hiss which should be quite noticeable on cassette.  there is no tape hiss on CDs which  is the main reason i prefer digital media, i find the hiss distracting.  yes cassettes can play the lower frequency 'warm' sounds, but that is only part of the music you should be hearing.

Not all CD playback machines, or CD burners, are equal. The same with Cassette players. Used to be TAPE was seen as being the BEST source, the reason was most studios used Reel to Reel tape to master. The Cassette player was simply a miniature version of a reel to reel machine. There again, not all tape machines are equal and certainly not all tape to record on is equal.

In fact the same goes for Phono Cartridges. The reason some cartridges can cost a thousand bucks, and you can buy cheaper ones for only $40.

Listen to what you like best.

Your CDs are definitely the problem, because good CDs will beat the living sh*t out of even the best cassettes. 

That said, I have cassettes I copied from CDs and they sound very similar. 

That is not possible. The cassette was so bad that Sony replaced it with the DAT, or Digital Audio Tape. Unfortunately, because Sony priced the DAT machines so outrageously high, it died when recordable CDs became available. Recordable CDs and car CD players also made the cassette obsolete. Nakamichi, which made the world's best cassette players, also had to stop making cassette players. Cassettes did outlast the LP though because they can be played in cars and in Walkman type players, and people can record music on them. Cassettes sound about as good as LPs, especially if noise reduction is used but they definitely did not sound better than CDs.  Don't be silly. 

No effing way...........unless you are listening to bootleg CD's