Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkEntertaining · 2 months ago

Good Sweet Sixteen Idea?

Hello!

I would like to have a traditional Sweet 16, but I feel like my friends and family would feel uncomfortable with it. I figured I could just have a typical pizza in the basement party (no cake). I usually only invite my close friends to parties, so it would be about 5 or less people. After the party, a Sweet 16 ceremony at home with family and church friends, where we do the 16 candles, cake, and whatever traditions my family has decided to do. Is this a good idea or is it too complicated? 

It depends on where you're from. I'm from the Southern United States,with over half of my family from New York, and Sweet 16s are a big deal there. In the south, a debutante style thing is quite typical for a sweet 16. I know there is no-such thing as a ceremony, I'd like the rites of passage separate from the party to make people more comfortable.

I obviously won't do anything if there's COVID

• car253

It's Tradition.   Go ahead and have your small party.    Enjoy yourself.

• Marli

I think it is sweet to have a family "rite of passage" celebration.  

It could not be uncomfortable for your family and friends if the party is a tradition. It could not have been a tradition if your family and friends are not used to participating in such events.

If you are the hostess, you buy the pizza or the cake for your friends and plan the party. If you are the guest of honour, eat what the host offers. (I confess I would not eat both the pizza and the cake because they don't agree in my stomach, but if your friends can handle one or both, provide both.) A short request for God's blessing on the meal and for your future will not be cringeworthy.

• Janet

Bad idea to have a group. Even 5 is too many.

• kswck2

Sweet sixteen is just an excuse to have a party. I have seen thousands of dollars spent on one. And a week later, no one remembers it. 

There is no such thing as a sweet 16 ceremony. The cake with 16 candles is just a regular old birthday cake. My daughter had one with 5 candles this year. There are also not usually any traditions associated with a sweet 16 party.