Why does classical music bore me so much ?

I am a man 37 years old, I like classical music rock, metal, German, and Greek music, and I have tried to listen to classical music records that I have, but they bore me to the extreme, why ?

Why do listen to music that bore you?

• LB

Note that not all classical pieces are boring. For instance, if you like rock and metal, or more high-energy pieces (not songs), then listen to Liszt's Totentanz, Liszt's Valse Infernale, or the final movement of Shostakoivch's 11th Symphony, which are commonly regarded as being "metal but instead played by an entire orchestra". Other pieces to know are Moment Musicaux no.4, by Rachmaninoff in E minor (literally an entire  band on one piano), the Tannhauser Overture (very German), and all of Shostakovich's 12th Symphony.

• dman63

It’s just not your kind of music.  I grew up hearing it constantly courtesy of my dad, but I have my own tastes in music.  While there’s a few classical pieces I’ll listen to, I listen mainly to classic rock with some jazz and blues.  To each his own.

It just isn't your thing. Not everyone has to enjoy classical music. There are different types of Classical, so you could try those, or just don't listen to it at all, if it isn't your thing.

• Mike

Only you can answer that question.

• Gregg

I don't like rap and all these pop songs with screeching high notes, that I often see large veins popping out of singers' necks….  It's individual tastes.

Because you don't like it!

It's just not your jam. I have tried country and rap, both make me want to gouge my eardrums out so I don't need to listen anymore. Everyone has their 'thing'.

One, not all classical music is the same. There's good; there's bad. I would bet there is some classical music you like. Two, not all classical music was meant to be exciting. Three, most classical music was written to be heard live, not like those genres of music you mention, which is written to be heard from a recording as that is how it's mostly heard and how it makes most it's money, not that those genres you listen to are never performed live, but if you've ever gone and seen and heard it performed live, you know it's an entirely different experience than just listening to it in your car or through your earbuds, a far more exciting and engaging experience. The same is true of classical music, except times 10, because instead of a four-piece rock band performing, for example, it's a 40-piece symphony, though the rock band does get a leg up because it's amplified and even produced live in such a way as to layer it and make one guitar sound like four or five, which classical music, back in the day, didn't have, so to make it sound like there were four or five guitars, there had to be four or five guitars, and there were, and that was exciting, and a spectacle, and literally the only way classical music could be consumed at that time, as the giant live spectacle, never a recording.

Basically, classical music loses a lot of its punch when you're listening to a recording of it instead of live. And because of that, you don't listen to it very much but listen to music that was specifically written and produced to be listened to from a recording, designed to sound good in a way that didn't exist and so music couldn't be specifically for before.

There's also the issue of time. The average song length in the genres you speak of is between three and four minutes. It's hard to get bored in just a few minutes. Classical music goes on for hours because it was only heard live in theaters and opera house as people would get dressed up and go and sit, the individual pieces you know being broken off a greater whole, off an entire movement that was meant to be heard in its entirety in a live performance, so it lacks contexts and so makes less sense and loses drama for that reason too, which will make it seem boring. Anyway, so in the context of back when classical music was pop, meaning it was the popular music, writing all these individual songs of only a few minutes wouldn't make sense any more than it would make sense for you to go to the movie theater to watch a movie that was only 3 or 4 minutes long or even for two hours to watch 40 little movies only 3 or 4 minutes long. It only makes sense to you that music is that way today because of radio and how ads fund radio, where songs much longer than 5 minutes either get abridged to under 5 minutes or don't get play, like how when you hear "American Pie" on the radio, you only ever hear 3 of the 7 verses. 

Music is personal taste. Usually it's what your brought up on that is an influence. But not always.