David S asked in SportsHockey · 2 months ago

Did Mike Milbury deserve to be fired?

Milbury said "Not even any woman here to disrupt your concentration." The NHL condemned Milbury for his comment in an official statement released Friday.

Did Milbury deserve to be fired? How much more sensitive will we get before the pendulum swings back?

• Ian

No he didn't. I don't like his comments as it reduces women to objects of desire that men can't think around. But, cancel culture needs to start TEACHING why, showing people the way, sensitivity training made public and a TRUE apology once he has been given perspective. If I said something like that, I would gladly accept guidance and be remorseful ONCE I HAD LEARNED so I could grow as a person.

The old ways are ALWAYS replaced by the new. In this day and age it is done viciously, without taking into account that people usually do NOT wish to offend.

It seems like he was trying to be NBC Hockey's equivalent of Don Sour Grapes Cherry,

and if asking me (which apparently you are) Milbury shoulda been fired a long time ago.

• Yes. Read the room.  He's been this way his entire playing, coaching and GM career.  Sportsnet fired racist grandpa earlier this year (for making racist comments about immigrants) and NBC fired Jeremy Roenick for making sexually inappropriate remarks about female coworkers (do this in the 'real' world and you get fired).  

Somehow, players have managed to play the Stanley Cup playoffs and visit their wives, girlfriends and kids when they have home games for 95+ years.  I'm sure NESN will re-hire him to pair up with Jack Edwards and they can be racist bigots together.

If it was an isolated incident then I would say probably not, but he has made several dumb comments since the NHL resumed play and already had a history of putting his foot in his mouth.  He insinuated that Leafs defenceman Jake Muzzin was faking his injury to get a call, with Muzzin soon after being carted off an stretcher.  Then there was his criticism of Rask after the goaltender left the Bruins without knowing the reasons why and it turned out it was for a medical issue with one of Rask's children.  He's paid to provide his opinion, yes, but those comments and especially this most recent were just dumb things to say and he should know better.   It was time for him to go.

• JuanB

Mike Milbury should never have been hired.  He doesn't know what he's doing and constantly says stupid things.  I'd look for any little excuse to get rid of his ***.