Can I carry my PC between houses?

I'm planning to buy a gaming PC. For context, I've been using a laptop forever, since about 2009, and it's been really easy to move it between houses since my parents are divorced. (I move houses almost every day). Also, keep in mind that I will not be carrying the monitor or keyboard, as I can just have 1 of each at each house. I was wondering if it was healthy for the PC if I were to carry it between houses. Like can it be damaged if I transport it so often? I'm also worried about the PC's temperature. If I've been using a PC right before going in the car, would it be too hot for me to carry? (Also, if you don't have at least bare knowledge on how PC's work, don't bother replying. A wrong answer can lead to me wasting thousands of dollars)

• ron h

I like m8xpayne answer.  I built a tower and installed a cabinet handle on the top of it to make it easy to carry.  I hadn'd thought about oversized components "leveraging" their weight to cause damage. 

Sure.

It probably wouldn't hurt to let it cool off for a minute or two before unhooking and moving it - but I've moved desktop PC's all over the place without problems.

I would figure out a way to secure it really well in your car for transportation - possibly consider buying some kind of case for it.

Sure, if it is just the tower, shouldn't be too much trouble

• keerok

Yes you can.

Get a sturdy case and take care not to bang it while moving to protect the hard disk. BTW, way back in the late 90's and early 2000's, there were game parties that involved players bringing in their own desktops. It won't take much effort to find CPU cases that come with handles nowadays.

I would still go for a laptop myself. Daily travel with a desktop is going to get old fast, they're not built for that and I've seen enough just packing computers around for work. But look at a small and light form factor and invest in a carrying case (hard sides, foam with holes cut out).

The only way your PC can be damaged is if you drop it or it accidentally hits something, simply moving it will not harm it in any way. 

• P

The short answer is yes you definitely can.   Heat is not a factor at all, it's more the small risk of it getting banged up after sliding around in the car or other things against it.  They are pretty sturdy for the most part.   That said it's very inconvenient and doesn't translate well if you also need something in class for school\college.  I think you have to ask yourself if you are looking for the slight desktop performance boost or just the full keyboard\mouse\monitor experience?    You can easily get a good external monitor setup for a laptop dock.  Otherwise it's a lot of inconvenience to take on at this point in your life just to have a desktop with a little more power.   It certainly wouldn't be a total waste, just more stuff to constantly unload\load between houses and then you may have to use an old laptop when you need it for other things. 

As long as take care with your PC case & don't accidentally drop it or bang it around (which may cause some components to get dislodged in the best case OR damage components in worst cases, especially if your system is liquid cooled), you should be OK in MOST cases.

In regards of internal / external temperatures...  you shouldn't be too worried in MOST cases.

> For Desktops, the external temperature of the case should typically be safe to hold unless you're using a highly compact build.

> For Laptop, external temperatures can be a concerning factor.  However, most good builds will typically keep temperatures in check & the worst thermals will typically be where the CPU is.  Ideally, temperatures will remain under 111 F / 44 C (the LOWEST temperature that can cause 1st degree burn in 6 hours)

If you're concerned about burns, you'll likely want to power down your system for about 15 minutes for everything to naturally cool down.  Granted this time is a bit arbitrary, but if it feels too hot for you... just wait.

ONE MAJOR CONCERN with PC's is COLD TEMPERATURES over long periods of time, which is more prevalent for winter than any other time.  The main concern is with humidity, dew point & condensation.  You REALLY don't want to turn on a frigid computer (that's below the dew point for the room it's in) & accidentally frying your computer because of water condensing in your system.

The general rule of thumb is to wait an hour for your PC to warm up to room temp (which will be above the dew point) to avoid the potential issue.

The TL;DR here is that as long as you as you use common sense & take reasonable care in transport, you should be perfectly OK.

LAN parties were popular around 15 years ago and that required people to hoof their PC to someone else's house. 

It can only get damaged if you drop it or bang it around. You shouldn't have a problem if you handle it with care and pack it well.

Some people hate AIO coolers but AIO coolers don't put a lot of stress and strain on the motherboard. Larger CPU heatsinks have been known to damage motherboards when the PC is moved around. You can also find braces for larger graphics cards which will reduce the sag and give it protection from movement. It would probably be a good idea to look at a standard sized 4.5" wide x 9" to 10" graphics card...... not one of those monster 5.45" wide x 11" to 12" cards.

If you're having to pack your PC around, then I would suggest building the PC yourself. You can build a smaller mini-ITX or mATX build which would be easier to pack around. The only downside is companies charge a lot more than they should for mini-ITX parts, like mini-ITX motherboards. 

Yes, you can move your PC between houses constantly. It would probably get very tedious after a while. As long as you don't drop it, I doubt you'll have any problems.