Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Was I justified in fighting with my dad he took my car parked at my apartment broke it and said “you need to fix it now”? ?

He didn’t initially say sorry or anything like that until a day later when I got it fixed and told him how much damage he did. He was acting like it was his car when it’s registered to me I live on my own pay my own bills etc. 

I can tell he is pretty upset now. I really did lay into him.  He did try to fix it but made it worse. 

I came over and said want to move on and then he wanted to talk about it and said all the things he did for family like I never did anything and then I blew up again and said I don’t need to have any relationship with them at all. 

He did pay me for the repair then I left with the few things I still had at his place. 

• Tj

You should have reported it to the police and let him be charged, and make him pay for repairs. Id also cut off anything with him, move and not tell them where. This act should be the final straw for you. Get away from this mental idiot.

Ok lets cut through all the family bullshit  and your rambling here-

If he drove off with your car without your consent, then it becomes grand theft auto, and you are well within your legal rights to file criminal charges against him. The car was registered to you meaning legal possession was yours and not his, what he did was he committed a felony.

Now about the damages- Non issue here, while he did the accident, he also fully 100% re-imbursed you for the damages that he caused. You really don't have a right to be upset here about this, you seem to be acting like he didn't pay for his damages when in fact he did.

All this family bullshit that you spewed in your question really has nothing to do with the incident at hand, learn how to stick to the facts next time.

i wouldve told the police about it if he did that to me

Your choice: but you are paying a big price, if not monetary, in terms of the relationship. Is it worth it to you? Sounds like the two of you haven't had the best one in the first place.

• Robert

Why do people fight?  You gain nothing.  The correct method would be to ask him to pay for the damage.  If he declines you explain what consequences there would be.  "You can never borrow the care or anything else from me ever"  or "I'll disown you"  Then you give him another opportunity to pay.  If he does not you carry out the threat.  If you seriously outline what you want and what the consequences are if you don't get it, and always carry through, people will take you seriously and will respond to any serious and fair demands.   Fighting and shouting does nothing except to exercise your mouth.