Stacey asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

My dog keeps drinking from puddles, how to make him stop.?

My dog is not the smartest.

He has bowls of pristine water inside and out, but lately he’s been taking to finding the filthiest puddle he can and drinking from that instead, sometimes after he’s peed less than a foot away.

I’ve tried using bottled water, thinking it might be the chlorine or something in tap water that he’s avoiding.

I’ve tried positive reinforcement when he does drink clean water, and negative reinforcement when he doesn’t.

I’m worried he’s going to make himself sick, and to be honest I’m going through so many cloths and wipes to clean him up afterward that’s it’s not funny anymore.

How do I make him stop? 

• Jojo

Unless the puddles are frequented by vehicles and there is a risk of it being contaminated by anti freeze, fuel and oil, it`s not such a big deal. Wild animals drink from all  sorts of contaminated sources and don`t seem to come to any harm.

Best course of action is to train your dogs to the respond to the `leave it` command and apply the command when he looks like he is going to drink from a puddle.

OR...keep him on a leash where puddles are.

MY GSD actually dives in any filthy or muddy water he comes across, but does respond well to the Leave it command (if I catch him in time). I live in an area that has many ditches and sewers on a marsh and I don`t allow my dog in them when they are covered in algae in hot weather. 

I think you may be worrying too much about this issue though, and as long as the puddles are just plain rain water and are not contaminated or covered in green slime the dog will be fine.

My friends Goldie actually lays down in any puddle she sees!!! Dogs will be dogs it seems.

Some people seem to see problems in everything a dog does but a dogs digestive system is very tough and can usually deal with most things a dog ingests. 

Of course there is the odd unlucky dog that does get ill from ingesting poison or rancid food or drink but then all  life is a game of chance.

So, teach your dog the leave it command if this issue bothers you and you really want to be on the safe side at all times. Chances of your dog getting ill from this habit however, is very very small. 

JMO.

Source(s): GSD owner for 57 years. UK.(Never had a dog die from drinking from a puddle yet)
  • Kelly

If your dog is a puddle drinker, please be sure that they are vaccinated for Leptospirosis. Lepto is bacteria spread in the urine of mammals. Wildlife in many areas of the country have leptospira. It can be deadly once an animal is infected, and is zoonotic...meaning YOU can get it as well.

Source(s): Veterinary Technician

Youve tried reinforcement? You need to provide depth. All dogs are not the same. You also need to provide ages and sexes both you and the dogs and you should probably put up a picture showing both of you.

Now "your" dog? You cant claim ownership of a dog simply because you feed water and walk it.

My first impression is the dog has found a new fun and games that makes it sick too and its screwing with you because it wants to.

• funnel

You just find out when Puddles owner tends to let him out.

Try a  fresh bowl of water by his food.   You probably shouldn't have a dog if you have to ask that question.

Get him to the vet

It does look like you may have to use a muzzle for him, when out off your property.   And when on it, be WITH him because for sure, protozoa like Giardia can lurk in standing water.   He may already have been infected so now might be a good time to get a fecal done, just in case.  There could be anti-freeze (deadly to dogs) in standing water too.   And yes, properly clean the water bowl every day.

• jean

as u said he ain't the smartest.  U could get a vet to check him out and to get some advice

• Robert

At least he doesn't drink from the toilet. 

Keep him wormed, dogs seem to like the taste of filth. You're going to have to keep him on a shorter leash, and firmly tell him "NO" when he heads towards a puddle, then proceed to walking him in another area away from the puddles. Still I've never actually seen a dog being completely broken from the idea of drinking from puddles or ponds, or whatever gross water is in reach. It's up to you to move him away from the bad water, and you'll have to keep him under complete control during your outings to do this.