Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 month ago

Could such an insurance claim work?

Say that I buy a box of high end cigars.

Then a month later, I file a homeowners insurance claim stating that the cigars were destroyed in a series of small fires.

Technically, I'm not lying. That is indeed what happened to the cigars.

Do you REALLY think you're the first person to ever come up with this or a similar scheme?

Yes, you could file the claim.  I don't know where you'll get insurance for the rest of your life, but it will be an interesting lawsuit.

You'd have to prove it wasn't arson of course ;-)

• D50

Multiple fires means multiple claims. Each cigar will be below the deductible.

Not always. You are just better off with the truth.

No.

First, you can't file an insurance claim stating that something happened in a "series" of anything.  You can only claim the damage from one event on each claim.  When things are destroyed in a series of events, you have to file a separate claim for each event.

Second, damage from fires that you intentionally start isn't covered by insurance anyway.

• Dan

Haha very funny. A comedian, eh?