Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 month ago

If you are a suspect in a crime, does having an alibi really make a difference?

Unless your alibi is backed up by surveillance footage, it is so easy to fabricate one.

I'll give just one example:

I am a regular at a cigar lounge, at least when we don't have a pandemic.

And I am good friends with all the other guys who are regulars there.

What that means is, if I committed a crime and became a suspect, there is a place I can go where a few boxes of cigars and a handshake can BUY me an alibi.

"Yes detective, he speaks the truth, he was indeed hanging out at my house at that time."

If it can be proved

No, it does not.

yes and alibi which is backed up by real physical witnesses that are willing to testify in court that you were there instead of somewhere else committing a crime that's better than a surveillance tape! You cannot cross-examine a surveillance tape and the law says that you must be able to cross-examine witnesses in order for it to be admissible as evidence so we are witnesses are able to be cross-examined you can't cross-examine here say you can't cross-examine surveillance tapes there has to be a live witness or the whole thing is nonsense

You seem to be missing how a real alibi is investigated.

Police will check small details that they know and can verify. They will ask, for instance, at what time you showed up. What clothes you were wearing. What is the fist thing you said when you showed up. And so on.

You see, if you are a suspect to crime, and that you really did it, chances are this is likely your first crime, so you are an amateur, a rank beginner. The police, on the other hand, deal with criminals day in and day out. They know how to sniff out a forged alibi. THEY are the seasoned professionals.