How is college different from high school?

I’m starting college in the fall and not sure what to expect. I only have 4 classes. And I’m living at home since it’s not too far away. I’ve heard that in college you have more independence and you manage your own time. Is that true?

Absolutely true. You're an adult now, and you have to manage your time, money, effort & everything. It's up to you, solely up to you. No more babysitting or handholding. 

I dropped out of college but I can tell you that it was a lot harder for me as my high school was very easy and I had very little homework. I was not prepared to start writing very long essays and exams seemed harder but it was up to you whether or not to study. If you don't then you will fail and most teachers don't care about you. Teachers won't babysit you like in a public high school

• John

In high school, students are in class about 32 to 35 hours per week.  With 4 college classes, you will most likely only be in the classroom 12 to 14 hours per week. Consequently, in college a student must do much more outside work than in high school.  Making that adjustment is critical to college academic success.