Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Is it better to live in an apartment or a townhouse?

In terms of safety

Safety isn't really a factor--the safety isn't depending on the TYPE of dwelling it is, it's more dependent on the LOCATION. If you have good door locks, window locks, or security features, it makes little difference if the dwelling is an apartment or a townhouse. 

Townhouses are a bit more convenient in terms of moving in and out--but no more or less secure than any other place. The safety of where you are is up to you. 

That is a personal choice, either could be better, depending on many factors.

'Better' means different things to different people. And what might be better for me and my situation, might not be better for yours.  So this question is next to impossible to answer.

There are apartments that ARE townhouses.

• Sandy

An apartment building often has a security door which only allows certain people to enter. But it can be breached or left unsecured. 

Townhouses usually have a door much like the front door of a regular house.

Depends on other measures in place, such as cameras or motion sensor lights.

• Judith

An older person would most likely prefer to live in an apartment on the first floor because using stairs becomes difficult to manage as you age.  It's the reason I moved to where I live now - I can't do steps anymore and I've known many many people over the years who've moved out of homes and townhouses with steps to places without them.  As a matter of fact, one of my sisters and her husband recently sold their two story condo (3 if you count the basement) and moved into a ranch because he is having back trouble.

As a female, I always preferred living above the first floor - I felt safer - because access into my apartment was more difficult (although not impossible) for intruders.  If you are a male and one without health problems, I don't suppose it matters.  Then my primary concern would be whether or not the area of town you live in is safe - not the height of the building.

• A

I don't see any difference, either way you are sharing walls with other people.