What are some older (maybe even black and white) movies that have a strong woman lead?  Is there a good list to go through?

I watched the movie "The Holiday" and although I can't completely relate to what either of them have gone through I already have a reading list and would like a movie list that's a little unique, any suggestions?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

His Girl Friday,  starred Rosalind Russell  , alongside Cary Grant . as a tough as nails reporter would could hold her own against Grant's smarmy , womanizing Editor.   It's also just a funny film with dozens of  inside jokes,  and one of his best  Screwball comedies. 

And topically,  hasn't aged a day......since it's about the Media, trying to spin  the news...and print splashy headlines............truth be damned. 

an excellent film,  all around.......still worth a watch even today. 

(there's also a classic gag in the film, where Grant is trying to insult  Rosalinds new boyfriend, and he says to him,  you have an average kind of face, like that guy in the movies........what's his name,..........Ralph Bellamy. 

and the role is of course being played, by none other than  Ralph Bellamy)  The film is loaded with stuff like that, and breaking the 4th wall----talking the audience....and stuff that was "edgy"  at the time. 

• 1 month ago

you can check out nearly any Barbra Stanwick, Lauren Bacall, Bette Davis and Katherine Hepburn movies

- especially Hepburn's."Trade Mark (6)Playing strong independent women with minds of their ownOften wore slacks instead of dresses, decades before it became fashionable for women to do soDistinctive way of speaking, with what many say is a "Bryn Mawr" accentFrequently worked with Cary Grant, Spencer Tracy, and George CukorHer recognizable angular featuresHer strong outspoken personality"https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000031/bio

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Barbara Stanwyck in Double Indemnity and many of her other movies. Bette Davis movies also.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.