Anonymous

Why is it called the 'Canadian accent' (oot and aboot), when it's actually the Wisconsin or Minnesota accent?

Both these states have similar accent to many Canadians. Wisconsin and Minnesota were both founded as US states long before Canada became a country. And there were no real true Canadian identity until the mid 20th century. 

Because for the most part, identities in the Americas are completely fictitious.

Of course you should this should be apparent when people say Canadians and Mexicans aren't Americans. You people understand what continents are right?

• Zirp

Actually, English is a horribly not-quite-phonetic language. I have no idea which sounds you mean with (ab)oot. "üt and abüt" is scottish and üt is also used in my local dutch dialect with the same meaning. Our word for garden sounds identical to the scottish word for town.

Some canadians say what I as esperantist interpret as "abewt"  (with the W replacing the U with an inverted circonflexe above it). Russians probably have no problem pronouncing it, but English has no way of properly rendering the sound

Those accents don't sound anything alike.