What are the options if I didn’t study any science based subjects and want to study a bachelors in Physics in America?

3 Answers

  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

    Typically, in the U.S., as long as you meet the university's admissions requirements, you don't have to have studied specific classes in high school to study specific courses in college. In the States, one begins university a year younger than, for example, in the UK; the classes start at a more introductory level, and it takes four years to earn a bachelor's degree instead of three. 

    In the United States, in theory, you ought to be able to be successful in an introductory college physics class without any background in physics in high school. 

    In theory.

    In practice, everyone else in the class will have studied physics in high school, the professor will skip or rush through the introductory material, and you'll be pretty lost.

    In addition, your introductory physics class will have to be calculus-based for a physics major. When you say you didn't study any science-based subjects, did you at least have calculus, or all the classes necessary to take calculus (it's typically a co-requisite, not a pre-requisite, to introductory physics)?

    Your best bet may be to start out at a U.S. community college. If you're an international student, you need to be aware that most community colleges don't have housing (accommodation) but a few (especially in Florida and California) do. A community college class (in the transfer program, not vocational classes) will cover the same basic material as a bachelor's degree class in the same subject would, but typically it's presented in a more straightforward manner, and the professors are more like teachers who help you learn, instead of just presenting the materials and letting you sink or swim on you own. Community colleges will also teach college algebra and precalculus; many four-year universities have calculus as their lowest-level math class (aside from statistics and accounting). 

    After you've finished the lower-level math and physics classes, up to the first two years of a bachelor's degree, you can transfer to a four-year public college or university (not necessarily your first pick) in the state where the community college is located, or sometimes in a neighboring state. There, you will complete the remaining requirements of your bachelor's degree.

    But if you're a bright student, and ready to start calculus, you might risk just starting at a four-year university. Just be ready to put in a lot of effort to start, since you'll be behind the other students. 

  • Stoo
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Why would you want to show up to a course you have no pre-requisite knowledge of?  Get the pre-reqs, or you'll just show up to fail. 

  • 1 month ago

    You're not going to university in US to study physics. You must have had science courses in high school, so you do not have the equivalent of US high school graduation, and have no prerequisite science courses to start sciences in college.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.