Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Should I abandon French to learn German?

I am a native English speaker. I used to study Dutch in my late teens although I was very slow and relied too much on Duolingo. 

In the past month I started learning French, with my past experience I have been able to make progress very quickly and I'm proud of how much I've learned in a short amount of time.

My issue is that I think I may have an easier time with German with the similarities to Dutch. Also I have the prospect of living in Germany but not France. I don't want to abandon my progress with French but my heart is not in it. I don't know what to do??

• Thomas

"Dutch" is not a language but "German, pronounced with a sore throat". Answer therefore is easy: Take some cough drops, continue with (real) German.

No, don't abandon French. I'd say it's quite useful in Western Europe, including Germany. Many Germans I've met are fluent in French.

• Orla

What do you enjoy more...snails or weinerschnitzel ??

None of us can make up your mind for you.

• Zirp

If you are going to live in Germany you have two options: learn enough German or stay as nothing more than another tourist.

If you choose to learn German, that's no reason to "abandon" French.

Just focus on German and do a little French on the side

Source(s): Dutch, had English, French, German and a little Latin in grammar school. Also got fluent in Esperanto

Do only what YOU think is good for YOU. Not what other people could to think what is the best for you. See the difference?

German has 16 different words for "the" (3 genders and a plural multiplied by 4 cases). Enjoy.

Actually, if you already speak English, German is easy.

English is a Germanic language.  Many of the words are similar. 

Kindergarten = Kindergarden...T's change to D in many words.

Schmied = Smith, Smyth, Schmitt, etc.

Schule = School.

Etc.

• thesun

Learn Chinese so you can talk to your future boss