Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Should I abandon French to learn German?

I am a native English speaker. I used to study Dutch in my late teens although I was very slow and relied too much on Duolingo. 

In the past month I started learning French, with my past experience I have been able to make progress very quickly and I'm proud of how much I've learned in a short amount of time.

My issue is that I think I may have an easier time with German with the similarities to Dutch. Also I have the prospect of living in Germany but not France. I don't want to abandon my progress with French but my heart is not in it. I don't know what to do??

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Thomas
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

"Dutch" is not a language but "German, pronounced with a sore throat". Answer therefore is easy: Take some cough drops, continue with (real) German.

• 4 weeks ago

No, don't abandon French. I'd say it's quite useful in Western Europe, including Germany. Many Germans I've met are fluent in French.

• Orla
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

What do you enjoy more...snails or weinerschnitzel ??

• 1 month ago

None of us can make up your mind for you.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you are going to live in Germany you have two options: learn enough German or stay as nothing more than another tourist.

If you choose to learn German, that's no reason to "abandon" French.

Just focus on German and do a little French on the side

Source(s): Dutch, had English, French, German and a little Latin in grammar school. Also got fluent in Esperanto
  • 1 month ago

Do only what YOU think is good for YOU. Not what other people could to think what is the best for you. See the difference?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

German has 16 different words for "the" (3 genders and a plural multiplied by 4 cases). Enjoy.

• 1 month ago

Actually, if you already speak English, German is easy.

English is a Germanic language.  Many of the words are similar. 

Kindergarten = Kindergarden...T's change to D in many words.

Schmied = Smith, Smyth, Schmitt, etc.

Schule = School.

Etc.

• thesun
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Learn Chinese so you can talk to your future boss

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.