Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

If someone at work ignores you when you say hello or make small talk (and they’re not busy) are they rude & nasty & should you say hi again?

Til they hear you

“Make” them say hi??

Do you have to say hi?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

There is no obligation to continue engaging in friendly communication if this not being reciprocated.

• Ludwig
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes.  Also, you should make them stand up when you enter a room.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i would just leave them alone if they dont want to be bothered

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

That is the exact type of coworker I always avoid. Damn, give people space. Perhaps they could be analyzing your personality as well to see if you are trustworthy. If someone wants to talk too much, some people might feel like you want something from them or you are trying to get them to reveal some sort of personal information. People don't like to be pestered. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

It might be the way you wrote this, but you're coming across as a bit of a pest.  Just because it's "polite" to say hello doesn't always mean it's a good idea.   If someone is deep in thought or whatever, they feel compelled to respond hello, but they don't like the interruption.  Also, I'm curious how you know for sure the person isn't busy.

And of course you wouldn't keep saying hi until they respond.  That's what I meant by being a pest.  Make sure you know how to "read the room".  This applies to individuals, as well. 

• fcas80
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Say hi once and be friendly, but don't make a big deal about this.  Some people are just not especially friendly.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.