Would you be friendly to a topless girl?

I live in Ottawa, Canada, and now that the COVID-19 restrictions are being gradually lifted (and the weather is great) I decided to return to freedom going topless to a beach close to downtown called Mooney’s Bay beach. I went to that beach in the company of three of my girlfriends and everything was perfect until I took off my t-shirt and they saw I was not wearing the top of my bikini. I noticed they were shocked to see me topless, which surprised me a lot since topless is legal in province of Ontario. After exchanging funny looks among themselves the girls asked me if I was going to stay topless in their company. I said yes, adding that I hadn't brought the bikini top, and then they simply packed their stuff and went to settle 100 yards from me, leaving me alone. Although I felt their reaction was weird and rude, I couldn't care less and stayed at the beach the whole day on my own without any problem........and topless!

Now, that's my question: Why all the fuss about being topless at Mooney's Bay beach? It is totally legal and I don't understand why somebody would have a negative reaction on standing beside a topless girl. The wrong attitude here is to SHAME a girl for being topless, making her feel unwelcome. Why are some girls so close minded and conservatives?

It's considered INAPPROPRIATE and in bad behavior.  Wake up!  If you are not at a "nude" beach, stay clothed.  Your friends did not want to be around you showing your boobs.  I wouldn't want to be around you showing your boobs.  Use better sense.

Being topless, even where it's legal, can attract unwanted attention. As you spend more time with your friends, you'll learn more about them and be able to better gauge what their response is likely to be to stuff you do.

This isn't a legal question

Evidence not shown.....

PS don't care what anyone wears to the beach.  Burkina or Borat style Banana hammock. 

We would have to see it before stating an opinion