If a room addition was made and there are no signs of permits, but shows up in the city plans, should there be a concern?

Room circled in red is the questionable addition?

Attachment image

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

It showed up in the city plans - meaning the city knew about it...and passed it.  The concrete pad was poured and passed.

. It is not a concern

. Normally it is a room not known by City hall.

. But what you do inside the house is up to the owner.  It does not show on the outside.

. It has not changed the square footage of the house.

.The green line is where the existing outside wall lies.?? What do YOU Mean with the green line.  Is the brick wall still there?  Then there is a good chance the wall can be removed completely.(or be left alone)  That is up to you. Maybe it NEVER WAS AN OUTSIDE WALL.

• 1 month ago

Chances are that if there is no record of a permit, but the town records account for the addition, then perhaps it was discovered during a town assessment...then added to the records for tax purposes. Which can also indicate that whenever it was built, it meets zoning setbacks. 

I am guessing that if the town has record of it and they are not asking it to be removed or changed, then it is acceptable and good to stay. 

In my town, if no one complains within three years of the unauthorized build (no permit) or even a permitted build, it is up to the zoning board to either allow it to remain or request a change to meet current building and zoning regs or removal.

• drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In my area you must have a permit and it must the visable from the outside.  It is required to be posted until the job is complete and the city has done it final inspection.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If I'm not wrong, don't make any changes to the layout 'renovate', a coat of paint and done.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

You need to look at local building codes. Some places allow small alterations, but wouldn't if it was, say, a heritage building.The usual concern is that not having permits in place could affect a future sale. It also depends when it was done - a few years and nobody objects then it is usually OK.

• 1 month ago

I would not worry about it. If you go to the city and ask questions they might tell you to demolish it. Better to keep quiet. 

• 1 month ago

The rules can be different in various locations. You would have to check locally to find out. 

• 1 month ago

The green line is where the existing outside wall lies. If it is rebuilt up to codes does it needs permits with it being in the plans already?

Attachment image
  • 1 month ago

Is the room addition inside the original property or is it outside the original property? That's the difference! If you add to the outside of your property you may need a permit

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.