Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 month ago

Sheriffs department asked if can come in to speak to them ?

Last Friday the sheriffs department asked if I can come in sometime this week to talk to them about a matter, it’s already Friday again and I want to call them back to let them know that I will not be coming. I know the cops aren’t your friend and they work for the prosecution not for me I would like some help wording that if someone can please help me thank you

• Cee

Lawyer time, Anon.

Do not respond for any reason in any way shape or form. 

Anything you say will be used against you. Do not trust them. They are NOT your friend, they are your adversary. 

They ALREADY KNOW you don't plan to show up.

WE already know you are a troll, and likely couldn't FIND a Sheriff's office using GPS.

Just comply with whatever they want.

Get an attorney and do it. If your not guilty you’ll be fine, but like if you are sorry there bud.

• james

American cops are not good at reading. So use short hand a simple note with F-U2  I won't be there.  Something they can understand. 

• Bruce

You are never obligated to speak to law enforcement, so you don't need a reason or special wording. Just tell them no. 

With that said, if you were the victim I'm sure you would appreciate if your buddies cooperated. If you are the suspect, that doesn't mean they will just let it go. And if the issue a warrant, it almost always comes at an inopportune time. I arrested a guy the day before he was scheduled to fly to Jamaica for vacation. Thats your call, I guess. 

Unless you think you are a suspect in something, why would you not talk to them.

If you are a suspect, and they feel you need to clear up a few things,  and if the prosecutor needs to he/she will just get a warrant for your arrest which will be different than you just coming in on your own.

If the court issues a warrant you will be arrested at home, or at work in front of family or friends, maybe co-workers, taken off the property in handcuffs, and placed in the back of a patrol car, taken to jail, processed and put in a jail cell.

You go in as requested, you have some control over what happens

If you have done nothing illegal or you are not a witness to something illegal you have nothing to worry about.'

By refusing or ignoring the invitation, you are making yourself look bad.

Your choice, but if they really need to talk to you, trust me they will by either the volunteer way or legal way. You can legally take a lawyer with you if you so desire, that is perfectly acceptable and they may even ask you if you brought one or want to call one. If arrested they have to provide you with one

• Kieth

Unless you have a warrant, I'm not coming in. If you do have a warrant, I'm not talking to you. They can't force you to talk, they can't threaten or coerce you to talk, and not talking to them isn't a crime. Cops will use the law to screw you over, but the law was written to protect the innocent. 

Without the details, I can't help you.  But avoiding them is not going to help the matter