What makes a 2012 Ford ranger ac not work when hot?

Trying to help neighbor trouble shoot his pickup. The ac runs good and cools well early in the morning when the sun is low, but later in the day when it gets hot- it stops working.

I put a gauge on it to ck refrigerant pressure and it shows a charge. If I remember I believe the gauge read about 25#?

Is that too low? Could it just be low charge, and if so would it stop cooling in the heat of the day?

Thanks for any suggestions.........

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

You have an AC pressure gauge and don't know how to use it. That seems like a waste of  money. Go to a store and get a recharge kit. That will take the guess work out .

• M.
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

When WHAT is hot? 

The engine? 

The weather? 

Something else? 

Please explain more and maybe somebody can answer your question. 

You are masquerading as a mechanic with your gauge, because you clearly have no understanding of what it means or what you're doing or how an automotive air conditioning system works. 

What is the evaporator/suction  (LOW side) pressure? 

What is the condenser/discharge (HIGH side) pressure? 

What is the duct temperature? 

What is the ambient (the outdoor) temperature? 

When the a/c is operating (the compressor is turning), is at least one radiator fan constantly operating?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Get a real AC manifold gauge.  When the AC is not working, check if the compressor clutch is engaging.  If it is engaging, check the low side AND high side pressures with the engine running and AC on.  Charge could be low.  If it is not engaging, check for a bad AC relay and clutch coil.

Attachment image
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.