LJJ asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 2 months ago

Can alcohol early in the first 2 months before you knew you were pregnant cause FAS?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In the 1970s in southern England my wife drank moderately (probably less than 1 glass of wine a day) during most of the lengths of her pregnancies. All three of our children have university degrees and interesting jobs.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I drank and smoked meth the entire pregnancy. My kid is fine. He's actually more chilled out than most kids from the drugs. I'd advise it if you want your kid to be cool. 

• Edna
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Social drinking in the first 2 months before you knew you were pregnant is highly unlikely to cause Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.

It's not the alcohol itself that causes FAS. It's how MUCH alcohol you drink and how OFTEN you drink it that can cause a problem   If you drink so often that you're drunk almost every day of your pregnancy, there's a high risk that your child can be born with FAS. 

• edward
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No.  Just stop drinking.  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • LizB
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you were a habitual binge drinker, yes. If you consumed moderately or lightly, and especially if you prefer lower proof drinks (basically anything other than straight hard liquor), then it's unlikely.

• 2 months ago

It depends how much alcohol - if the mother was passing out every day from alcohol consumption, yes.  If the mother had a drink from time to time, it's really unlikely to have caused any damage as long as she stops when she finds out she is pregnant.

• 2 months ago

Yes.  Whether a baby develops FAS or some less severe form of fetal  alcohol spectrum disorder depends on both the quantity and frequency of alcohol consumption. There is no "safe" amount of alcohol to drink during pregnancy because alcohol passes through the blood/brain barrier.  The damage to the fetus is the highest during the last half of the 1st trimester because that is when essential formation takes place.  

That noted, the likelihood of any physical or developmental issues are low for a women who might have a single glass of wine a couple of times.  A woman who  drinks daily and or gets drunk frequently could cause permanent damage to their child. 

If you are trying to get pregnant, stop all alcohol consumption before going of brith control. If you may already be pregnant, discuss your alcohol using honestly with your ob/gyn.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.