Is it fair to shame a girl for being topless?

I live in Ottawa, Canada, and now that the COVID-19 restrictions are being gradually lifted (and the weather is great) I decided to return to freedom going topless to a beach close to downtown called Mooney’s Bay beach. I went to that beach in the company of three of my girlfriends and everything was perfect until I took off my t-shirt and they saw I was not wearing the top of my bikini. I noticed they were shocked to see me topless, which surprised me a lot since topless is legal in province of Ontario. After exchanging funny looks among themselves the girls asked me if I was going to stay topless in their company. I said yes, adding that I hadn't brought the bikini top, and then they simply packed their stuff and went to settle 100 yards from me, leaving me alone. Although I felt their reaction was weird and rude, I couldn't care less and stayed at the beach the whole day on my own without any problem........and topless!

Now, that's my question: Why all the fuss about being topless at Mooney's Bay beach? It is totally legal and I don't understand why somebody would have a negative reaction on standing beside a topless girl. The wrong attitude here is to SHAME a girl for being topless, making her feel unwelcome. Why are some girls so close minded and conservatives?

If it's legal, it shouldn't be a problem. Good friends wouldn't leave you like that. I say that you should do whatever makes you feel comfortable

It's because they aren't egotist showoffs like you are.  They have taste and class.

I shame men for going topless too. Some have larger breasts than I do.