Can my landlord have me sign a new lease 3 months into the one I just signed?

I signed a lease for a new apartment and moved in May 2020.  Now the landlord says they omitted language about late fees and want me to sign a whole new lease.  Is this legal?  Do I have to sign?

Get both leases and read them word for word together. If the new lease ONLY omitted language about late fees, then go ahead and sign it. If it has OTHER things that got omitted, then go over each difference with the landlord present, and initial that you read and understand them. If they aren't objectionable, then go ahead and sign the new lease.  If there is stuff in there that IS objectionable, legal or not, then refuse to sign and ask to have your lease terminated without prejudice--that is, without any penalty to you. And find another place to live soon. 

You do not have to sign. They must live with the error. If they start making threats, respond to them in writing only, and keep copies of everything you send them, and they send you.  Tell them that the lease you signed stands as written and they cannot legally impose any additional terms without your agreeing to them in writing. Inform them that you will see them in court if they attempt to evict you for refusing, and that if they harass you, you will see them in court.

• R P

No, you do not have to sign a new lease. You and your landlord are bound by the terms of your current lease until it expires.

ONLY WHEN YOUR CURRENT LEASE EXPIRES

only in trollville...in the real world, expect to have to find a new place to live as soon as your lease expires in most states...if the fines are reasonable, go ahead and sign it unless you want to move in 9 months

• Barry

A contract is a contract. He is bound by it for the duration as are you. Decline politely.

He can ask you to, you have zero obligation to actually sign it.

No he cannot and no you do not. If he screwed up that is on him. 

The current lease is legally binding. 

You don't have to sign a replacement lease unless you want to. There's nothing they can do to make you do so.

No you do not have to sign.  I'm a retired RE Broker.