San

Which sentence is better?

A. Out-of-state students can see families during vacations.

B. Out-of-state students can see families during the vacation time.Thanks!

Thanks as always for your help!

A is better. B implies that there's only one vacation. In the US, college students typically have a fall break, a Christmas break, a spring break, and the summer vacation. I would add "their" in front of "families". 

• John P

In Britain I might say: "Out-of-state students can see their families in the vacations." Actually, being British, I would say "...in the holidays".

• blank

Hey San!

A is better - as three others thus far have stated.  Rather eloquantly too.

Don't expect a fav nod for this post as others were first.  Just taking the opporutnity to say thank you for your posts.  They are always thought provoking and often force me to slow down and think about the meaning of words and phrases!!  (yeah, I enjoy it - I'm just geeky that way).   =_)

• Zapata

A is better, because it is succinct.

B implies only a single vacation period.

Out-of-state students can visit with their families only during school vacation.