Is it bad to take one class per semester?

I'm not computer savy at all and none of my family has ever been to college. My family has never even owned a computer and I learned what little I could in school. But since I work full time I thought it would be smart to try online classes to fit my schedule better, I figured it can't be that hard. I decided to take the first step but the process is really confusing from accepting financial aid to signing up and using the internet websites the school provides to find what's due and whatnot. The semester hasnt even started yet but I'm already late in turning in my syllabus because I wasn't aware you had to start anything before the semester even started. I ended up dropping the class because I'm worried I'm just going to flunk it because I'm still learning how the college process works and I work 40 hour weeks.

I'm planning to take one class this semester and next semester to take 3 classes on campus if I get school accommodations from work. I know I will do better in person. I really want to go to school, but I can't afford to lose my job- where I make really good money and enjoy it for the most part. I feel kinda torn if I should find a new job with less hours, and I dont know if I'm doing the right thing or not by taking one class. I'm told by staff they don't like students taking one class per semester but I don't know what else to do. I feel like I'll be overwhelmed otherwise. Any advice would be great! Thank you!

depends. why do you want to go to college it sounds like. and what does computer knowledge have to do with it? why do you have to know anything about computers?

or are your goals to get a computer centric tech degree such as plc training?

why if you havent given yourself knowledge by now? they sell technology books lots of scientists engineers and technicians write them.

Certainly not to begin with, especially if you're working full time.

Take one class this semester and see how it goes. If it's fine, take two classes next semester and see how that goes. 

After that, you're going to have to make a decision: continue working full time, and going to school part-time (six to nine credits, or two or three classes, per semester); or go to school full-time (four or five classes, 12-15 credits, pre semester) and work part time (no more than 20 hours per week). 

I don't recommend it. I have taken 1 one class for a few semesters when I could've handled more. I have now been in college for 6 years and still have 4 classes left for undergrad. I would recommend taking at least 9-10 credits per semester, which is not even full time. But if you are not in a hurry to graduate then taking 1 class is fine. 

• Lili

It's fine, especially if you are employed full-time.  That's not a problem.

But you can't get financial aid for that, and it's not students who turn in syllabi -- a syllabus is something the professor gives to the students. It includes the readings, assignments, and a description of the material to be covered class-by-class.

3 classes are not normally enough to be considered a full-time student and this wouldn't be enough to qualify for on-campus accommodations

• drip

Are you at a community college? A non for profit university?  They shouldn’t mind if you take one class or five classes. If this is a for profit college, I would suggest not enrolling there.

Start by taking one class. See how you do first.

• John

Based on your circumstances, its fine.  Its far better to start out slowly and deliberately, than it is to jump in over your head.

• fcas80

If you are working full time, there is nothing wrong with starting out in college by taking just one class.  If the college is giving you a hard time about this, then you should find another college.  However, don't expect to get financial aid if you are only taking one class.

Your nearest community college would probably be happy to have you start with just one class.

Hopefully you now have your own computer and good Internet access.

Good luck.