my landlord refuses to fix the A/C and then removed all shade trees and patio covers. What is my recourse?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • R P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Well, regardless what another person said, not all states require your landlord to maintain the AC even if it was there when you signed the lease. Florida is one of those states.

You should Google and read your state's landlord laws & read them. You'll find out there if your landlord has to repair the AC regardless if you are paying rent or not.

As for the trees & patio covering, the landlord is free to remove them.

Source(s): Fl landlord
  • MOVE...................................

• 1 month ago

I'd move somewhere else personally.  That aid, if you moved in and the AC worked, they have an obligation to fix. 

• 1 month ago

despite many ignorant guesses on here....IF AC is included in the home when you rented it, it MUST BE MAINTAINED for the duration of the lease...and then until legal notice is given it will no longer be provided.  it does NOT have to be specifically included in the lease as long as you can demonstrate that it was there....a central or wall unit would be assumed to have been in place when the home was rented.

it is LEGALLY REQUIRED in all states when included in the lease.

however, there are limited exceptions as to who is responsible for fixing it.  I have heard of 1 state that in some cases, the tenant pays to maintain the AC unit that is provided by the landlord.

you likely don't have much argument over the trees/patio covers...landlord will likely argue that needed to be removed due to poor condition.  Trees and patio covers wouldn't likely be considered an amenity included in the lease....as you still have full use of the patio.  if its your exclusive use area, you can buy a patio set with an umbrella.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

None. Landlords are not legally requried to provide AC in most states. They are not legally requried to provide shade trees or patio covers in any state. 

• 1 month ago

Keep bugging him to fix the AC and move when you can.  In most states there is no requirement for a landlord to provide AC.  You can check state laws and if you live in a really hot state (Florida or Southern California or something) there could be a requirement, but barring that you can't do anything about this if there is no requirement where you live for the landlord to provide AC.

Might not be a bad idea to get a window unit for now.  This may not cool the whole apartment but at least you'll have one room where you can go to stay cool.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Unless the a/c is mentioned as an amenity of the property, in most states the landlord is not legally required to repair/replace.  I think Arizona is the only exception.  Thus you have no legal recourse, but are can have the a/c repaired at your own expense with the landlord's permission.  Sorry.

• ricky
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Nothing for cutting trees. Document “no a/c” with witnesses. Talk to landlord about a reduction in rent. Do a search for tenants rights in your state. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.