I have a crazy roommate, How do I get out of my lease?

My roommate has gone nuts, and I evacuated from my rental. The problem is that only my name is on the lease and the bills and he is still in my house. He's already damaged parts of the house. I know I'm going to be held liable. I want to cancel everything and possibly get him out. Please help!

You should not have left your apartment. The lease is in your name--that means YOU are the tenant. You needed to get the police or social services involved to remove your roommate. Especially if he had no lease or responsibility. All the rent and all the damages WILL be your responsibility now. 

You can't 'cancel' a lease you've signed. You can move out, but that will still mean you are liable for the remaining months left. You should have gotten someone to remove the roommate. That was ALSO your responsibility. 

• John

Buy him out..................

• R P

It's your responsibility to get your roommate out.  

You can't just cancel a lease. Your landlird has to agree, and he won't do that when you have someone living there. He is not going to let you off the hook & then foot the bill to get your sustenance  out.

You ask the LL if you can get out of it.  That is the only real way without paying up.  

call the police if he is being violent or is mentally ill and a danger to himself or others.

you are his landlord...you give a cure or quit notice/termination of tenancy if there is no lease.

if you terminate your lease and he refuses to move, you have a problem...you need to get him out.

Only way out of the lease is to pay the lease break fees. 

You allowed him to move in so you have to evict him. You can be evicted for the unauthorized tenant & sued for the damage. 

Very simply, you can't.

Were you allowed, per your lease, to have a roommate?  Assuming you weren't (you typically aren't,without landlord approval) then you really screwed up.  Anyhow, I'd call the landlord and explain it to them,maybe you can put this off as a friend who was staying over a few days (if they had no idea they were there and they havne't been there that long).  

Anyhow, just tell the landlord that your friend has gone crazy and you've had to move out and are scared to go back and they are going to have to evict the friend (possibly they could just go tell the friend to move out in 24 hours, since they aren't on the lesae - but possibly they will need to do a full eviction).  

Tell the landlord you can't live there and ask, will they let you out of the lease (if they can't or won't just get rid of the friend) if you pay a one months fee and let them keep the deposit, or something.  If they refuse to let you out of the lease just tell them you aren't paying for a place you can't live in and a court would only give them 1 months rent anyhow so they may as well let you out of the lease with some fee - maybe they will or maybe they'll insist on ruining your credit (which maybe you deserve) but worth a try to get out of the lease.

You might consider going back and finishing the lease if they evict your "friend" but there will be so much bad blood by the time they do this that maybe its not worth it.

• Maxi

You read your contract to see if there is an early termination clause and the cost of that, or speak to your landlord......... in the time being you give 'your roommate' 30 days notice in writing and you court evict and you got back to live in the property as YOU ARE 100% legally liable as it is your rental..... "gone nuts" doesn't say what, if he is abusing/attacking you then you phone the police and report it, you get him arrested and apply for a restraining order which stops him coming back into the property