Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

Can I register a car with a learners permit in N.C.? ?

I’m buying a car from a dealership, am I able to register it without a license? 

This is where AGE MATTERS.  You have to be an adult for that state (18 or 21 in some)udderwise Mommy has to buy the car for you & register it for you.  If you are financing it the same (adult age matters).  

. One can get a Learner's License (which you want to call a Permit...but that Permits you to sit behind the steering wheel and operate the vehicle on the road with other vehicles (JUST SO LONG AS DAD -WHO HAS A VALID DRIVER'S LICENSE AND IS NOT DRUNK OR HIGH OR STRUNG OUT IS "SITTING IN THE FRONT SEAT BESIDE YOU EVERY DAY YOU HAVE A PERMIT-then your insurance coverage is valid in case you get into an accident (those auto deaths exceed covid deaths so the auto firms petitioned the government not to make that known to the people so it is rarely reported so it seems much less die or are crippled for life than what is reported (like .01%)

. License is not needed except to operate it on public roads(and all roads are owned by the public...paid with your tax dollars.

. The rest of your questions can easily be answered by your friendly cop(unless you have that "dark tan" they are so jealous of, or DMV., or insurance agent.

You can surely buy a car without a driver's license in most states of the USA. 

In order to get license plates (also called registration plates), in most states of the USA, you must have insurance first.  So can you get insurance for the car?  I think not. 

Let us know what you find out.

• May

YES !

You don't need a drivers license to get a title or register (get plates) a vehicle.....Many people mistakenly believe that you need a driver license to buy, title and register a vehicle.  That is 100% nonsense.  Anyone, with or without a drivers license can do that.

A drivers license is only needed to drive, not to buy a car, a gallon of milk a pack of gum or anything else.  

Don't buy a car until you have a license.  If you don't pass the test and can't get a license, you will have wasted a lot of money buying the car and won't be able to get your money back, and you won't even be able to get out of making the remaining payments that you owe on the car.

• Edna

You can BUY a car with a Learner's Permit, if you have the cash to pay the dealership for the car. But, being able to drive the car after you buy it is a different story. If all you have is a Learner's Permit, you can't obtain insurance in your name because you don't have a valid, full driver's license. If you don't have insurance, you can't register the car in your name. If you can't register the car, you can't drive it.

• Scott

To register a vehicle, you only need to be able to pay the fees. A license is not required. Obtaining insurance may be a problem for you, though.

In my (different) state you cannot register a car without a valid drivers license and insurance. They check both.  You also cannot finance a car without a real drivers license.

But you can pay cash. You just can't register it or get a tag. 

If you are over 18 or whatever the min age is in NC and not anyone's ward. Yes. Registration only requires that and insurance or proof of financial responsibility. I've owned several vehicles,  legally registered, without  a license at all. Simply must be parked on my property, not public street.

Note: just having a "permit" does Not necessarily make the poster 15-18 YO. I had to get a permit after my license suspended when I was  46. Many come out west from NYC or Europe  in their 50's who never drove   before and find they need a permit, too  .  Individual states  vary on requiring  permit (s)  as an adult who never drove  or  restoring license as an adult v. first time teen.

Yes.  As long as you can pay for it, you don't need a license or lerners permit.