how do you deal with people who play mind games to try and confuse you?

ive encountered people like this through life....and they always make me very angry to the point im on the verge of clobbering them, or losing my temper violently.

so how should you respond to such people who set out to confuse you by conducting psychological mind games?   maybe by just them being happy and grinning a lot,  which i don't like....so then it is a kind of a mind game, because it has made me angry.

There are a number of reasons people play mind games, the goal is usually to gain a sense of control or power over another person. The player wants to get a specific response, but instead of telling you what they need or asking for what they want, they try to get their needs met by using manipulative tactics. It’s all about feeling powerful and in control, but those feelings never last for very long. Any time we try to use someone else to make ourselves feel better, it usually doesn’t end well. It’s almost impossible to create an authentic connection with someone when honest communication is missing from the picture.

The best thing to do when you realize someone is playing mind games with you is to bless them with love, stop communicating, and move on with your life. Manipulators have poor personal boundaries and don’t have your best interests at heart. They’ve developed negative coping mechanisms and will not ever change.

If the person you’re dating does this to you, it’s not about you. Their insecurity and need to make you feel less than you are is the real problem. You are a mirror for them, and the way they speak to you is the way their inner self-talk speaks to them. Don’t buy into their criticism.

The most nefarious of mind games is called gaslighting. Someone who uses this manipulative tactic might say something, then deny they ever said it, or tell someone their gut feelings are all in their head. They want you to question reality so you feel off balance. I recently had this done to me and I thought I was losing my mind. If you feel like you’re constantly having to explain yourself or backtrack, you’re probably experiencing this extremely damaging form of psychological abuse.