Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

Teen stays up all night and sleeps all day. ?

She sleeps all day and stays up all night. I make her go to bed but she gets up after I go to sleep and then sleeps all day. She doesn't do chores and tired and exhausted to go anywhere during the day.  I have tried grounding her. Taking away the phone and xbox but then she stays up all night and watches TV.  The TV is attached to the wall. So I can't take that away.    Need some parenting advice please. Any suggestions to get her to sleep at night? 

• Matt

Don’t let her sleep in all day. Wake her up at 9am and make her stay awake until it’s bedtime again.

You can try but it is kinda a part of being a teenager. It's most likely a phase that will go away with time. 

Who cares at least she aint running the streets, if you don't like it kick her out

Kinda par for being a teen for a few years anyway, she will grow out of it..

• edward

Melatonin in her drink?  A little nyquil?  I mean she’s a teen.  I give my son tylenol before we go to the doctor for needles so he doesn’t feel the pain.  I would think a drug that helps teens sleep would be kind of the same thing

Take all her electronic device's to better aide sleep zxq

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

Is there a reason why she needs to sleep at night? I mean, yes, it makes more sense to most people to be awake during daytime hours and sleep when it's dark, but some people aren't that way and it's valid. If you don't try to force her to be awake during the daytime, does she otherwise get enough sleep? Will she complete her chores around the house? Is she respectful of others' sleep in the home? I think my own parenting decisions would be different if otherwise, she was participating in normal life activities (heck, we need people willing and able to work night shifts). However, if she's never doing anything but sleeping or electronics, that's an issue no matter what her schedule is and needs to stop. Perhaps, you start by presenting things that way, "I don't care if you are up at night and sleep in the day, however, you will not be on electronics during all your waking hours. You are expected to contribute to the household, be respectful of others, etc. You can absolutely remove the tv... unplug it, turn off the internet at the source, use the digital parental locks, lots of choices. 

Yes, you can take the TV away. By disconnecting it and removing it, or by turning off the power that feeds it. NO teenager ever needs to have a TV in his or her room, period. You created this situation by letting your daughter have a TV in the first place. Now you need to deal with it. And while you're at it, you need to install a parental lock on all OTHER TV's in your house, so that your daughter can't use them when she's supposed to be asleep.  Ditto for any computers you have, as well as other technology. She should only be permitted to use those during the daylight hours, and even then, ONLY UNDER YOUR SUPERVISION.

If you create an environment that is free from distractions, and that is comfortable, your daughter will eventually learn to sleep on her own through the night, like she should. Meanwhile, put a lock on your bedroom door, too- so that she learns that she can't bug you during the night. Set a firm bedtime for her, and stick with that, so that she can learn normal sleep habits.

• Jill

You can take away TV. Just disconnect the power source. 

First off, that tv needs to come out of her room! I don't care if its attached to the wall or not, you hire someone to come in, drill a hole in the wall, and have it removed, enough with the excuses! You will pay the repair costs, but she in turn will pay back every cent and with a 2% interest fee on top within a set time frame. If she fails to do so? She'sout on her ***, and she can find a place to live.

Secondly, if she wants to stay up all night in her room staring at the walls, that''s her perogrative! However, she will be up at 7am (weekdays) and 8 am on weekends, and if she's tired, too bad that's her own damn fault now isn't it? She will learn real quick that its not fun operating on 4-6 hours of sleep, and I can assure you, she will decide to get herself into a much healthier routine.

Thirdly, she needs structure! She will be assigned a list of very basic chores, that will be done on a daily basis, no ifs/and's/buts about it! Also, she will be using the rest of her summer days to find a job, she needs to learn how to contribue to society. It doesn't have to be a full time gig, but, 2-3 days a week will suffice, this way she can still go to school and have time for friends all the while earning an honest living.

I would tell her she was 1 month to get her **** together, and if she fails to do so, shes out on the streets... and if that does occur, you need to stick to your guns, and not cave into her.

She needs some very harsh "grow the **** up" lessons here.