john asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

if i lose weight gradually will i avoid having loose skin?

so in other words, if i lose the weight slowly enough would that make a difference? or is it gonna be the same pretty much no matter what

No.  Not if you have to lose 50+ pounds.  A slow and steady lifestyle change is definitely the right approach. The older you are, the less elastic your skin and the less collagen in your skin.  The more weight you have to lose, the greater the likelihood you have some loose skin .  

So, a 20-year-old dropping 30 pounds probably won't see loose skin.  A 50-year-old dropping 60 pounds probably will have some.  

• .

Possibly. It really depends on how much you lose, how fast, and your age. If you are obese or morbidly obese, the chances of some excess skin are higher than if you're losing less than 50 lbs. If you lose very fast, chances of loose skin are higher because a lot of fast weight loss is muscle tissue (and the skin can't keep up with the fast change in body size). As we age our skin starts to lose it's elasticity, so the older you are (esp out of your 20s) the higher chance your skin will have a harder time "shrinking" to fit your more slim body.

It depends how much you're losing but if it's over 70lbs you'll probably get it. I lost 70lbs and i have it a bit on my gut, it looks terrible and i can't afford surgery. A lot of guys (I'm gay) say i'm overreacting but i hate how it hangs down and makes me look like a freak. I don't know what to do about it. I thought losing weight would make me look good.