Luis asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

Im 16, have no sense of identity and am very frightened of my future. What do I do?

I’ve spent all of my life playing video games. I’m not even good at them, I just like to mess around. I have this friend, best friend actually, who made me realize how much time I had spent on video games. He is a Cross Country runner, he’s fit, has a girlfriend, and is an aspiring engineer. His dad has taught him how to fix stuff around the house and the car and even some electronic, plays the piano makes a bit of music, training in boxing and mixed martial arts.

I know I shouldn’t compare myself to him but it hurts that he has all these things going on for him, stuff that all seems pretty cool and useful that make him a stronger individual while I’m over here completely useless. It hurts even more that he considers me a good friend and person and is constantly praising me for it while I’m over here drowning in envy.

I’m also afraid of my future. Right now I have nothing going on for me, no activities, no studies, no projects, zilch. I feel like a nobody and college is right around the corner. I’m afraid of not getting a scholarship and ending up with student debt, and a degree I don’t enjoy. 

People ask me, “Well what do you like to do?”, and while my friend Hugo over here seems to know exactly what he wants out of life, I’m lost. I have no particular set of skills and I’m afraid to loose time exploring things I won’t enjoy, but I’m also afraid that if I don’t find something to dedicate myself to now I’ll go nowhere in life. I’m paralyze and have no idea what to do next.

" I’m afraid to loose time exploring things I won’t enjoy," You've just admitted that you spend useless hours on video games. Stop envying your friend and start doing some of the things you admire him for. Give them their due time and you'll find that you do in fact enjoy some of these activities.

There is no harm in knowing a little bit about a lot of things. When something really interests you, then you can delve deeper. 

Young Man, This gynocentric world we live will not be easy especially when you have little to no motivation & self esteem. Just remember as a man you have a calling don't let this narcissist society tell you are incapable. Patriarchy has given us all we use.

You should start running and stuff and do things. Trust me you don't want to waste your life playing stupid video games, they will destroy you. It's better to be bored and find something productive to do than waste your time on videogames, they're ok for kids cause they're useless anyway but they're bad for adults.