When I shift in my manual I can feel some jerking after ?

It's not huge but I can definitely feel it for example I'll shift to third be accelerating and it will feel like the car is jerking or going to jerk even though I'm doing 40 mph any idea what this is ? Or is it normal ish. I feel like it might be time for a new transmission 

Possibly you have a slight oil leak from the engine rear crankshaft seal.  As you use the clutch when taking off from a standstill and possibly when taking your foot off the clutch when changing gears the oil that has leaked onto the clutch plate can cause the clutch to shudder which you can feel.  Generally once the clutch is fully engaged the shuddering stops unless the clutch is worn.

• Andy C

Sounds like a bad clutch.

Jerking after shifting with a stickshift would most likely be engine.. 

Up-shifting  to 3rd at 40 might be too soon, if you only have a 3 or 4 speed.

A bad  clutch disk  with broken/sagging recoil springs can also cause juddering. right After shifting. If it still shudders until engine catches up, it is either a lugging problem or engine hesitation. Needs tune up or bad gas/low  octane.  

How long has it been since you've changed your fuel filter?  Air filter?  Sparkplugs?  If the answer is "I don't know" or "a long time" I'd start there first.  Hesitation can usually be corrected without resorting to "replace entire transmission".  And any street car with at least 4 speeds shouldn't be lugging the engine at 40mph in 3rd gear, so the hesitation isn't due to gear choice.  It's possibly not even transmission related.

Sounds more like a misfire to me. if it's  Honda get the valves adjusted and replace the spark plugs with NGK or Denso Iridium spark plugs. Water in your gasoline can also cause what you describe. Take a fuel sample in a glass jar and let 20 minutes to see if water separates and is on the bottom of the jar.

• Barry

Typical American answers. UK and European cars are happy to pull 4th gear at 30 mph. My guess is the clutch or flywheel. A worn clutch or a failing dual mass flywheel can cause odd effects. I doubt the gearbox is faulty as you would get crunching or difficulty in selecting a gear. Assuming the engine and gearbox mountings are sound.

You are shifting at the wrong engine rpm when engine has no power.  Get someone to teach you how to use a manual transmission properly.

Assuming that the engine is running good and the clutch isn't worn out, if you are at too low of an rpm for the gear you're in, bucking is common. It comes from "lugging" the engine. Downshift. Don't shift according to speed, shift according to rpm and road grade.