Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

I want my son to go to the military, but he wants to go to college. What should I do?

I want my son to be made a man.

Not joining the military doesn't make him less of a man. Education is more important, maybe he after he graduated he will be educated and do better in the military as he succeeds in life.  

Try to have an honest conversation with him and explain why you think the military is best for him and then also listen to his point of view. If he still maintains that he'd rather go to college, let him. If you want him to be a man like you say you do, then it starts with him being able to think for himself and make decisions.

You, who are on the road 

Must have a code 

That you can live by 

And so 

Become yourself 

Because the past 

Is just a good-bye 

Teach you children well 

Your father's hell did slowly go by 

And feed them on your dreams 

THE ONE THEY PICK

The one you'll know by 

Don't you ever ask them why 

If they told you, you would cry 

So just look at them and sigh 

And know they love you.

Nothing wrong with college as long as they study something that gives them a license when they are done.

• F

Why would any parent encourage their children to join the military when they could end up in Iraq or Afghanistan ?

There's this widespread idea out there that everyone should join the military as a no-brainer.  This isn't true!  A lot of people aren't cut out for it, and I can guarantee basic training is incredibly difficult.

If he wants to go to college, why would you oppose this?  You might have a valid point if he wants to live rent free, hang out with friends, and game all day long, but that's not what's happening here. 

• edward

The military is an excellent way to pay for college.  That is how my parents went to school.  They were in the army for a couple years and they went to college on it before they quit the army

Why do you think that military service is the only way that your son can achieve success in life?

It's not. And in any case, this is your SON'S decision to make, NOT YOURS.

• John P

In Britain the armed forces recruiting office would quickly find out that be was only asking to join up through parental pressure, so there would be no chance of him getting in. Were you ever in the military? And what makes you think that all those men who were never in the armed forces are not 'real men'.

• Bill

let him go to college first , there will be plenty of time later on to become a man

• April

If he's 18, you can't control his life. You can recommend he joins the services to avoid student debt, but that doesn't mean he has to. 

Remember, as a parent, you're not obligated to pay for your child's education if you don't want to.