Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

Is there any reason someone should be given a warning instead of a speeding ticket?

The way I see it, every driver has a multitude of warnings.

My first warning came when I got my drivers license and I signed an agreement to obey the rules of the road.

Every licensed driver evidently knew the rules of the road well enough to pass their test. Then all they have to do is heed them.

And every time I take the wheel, I get warnings in the form of signs that tell me what the speed limit is.

I don't believe in second warnings.

What I have talked about is plenty of warnings for me, and that is why, at the age of 30, I have maintained a perfect driving record since I got my license at 16. No crashes, no tickets, never once have I been pulled over.

As a result, my insurance agent tells me that my insurance rate is as low as most drivers 20 years older than me.

And if I can do that, anyone else can.

If they haven't been pulled over for speeding once before, then a warning should suffice.

• May

Yes there are several reasons.

• Erik

So do you drive, or ride around on your high horse?

Nobody gives a flying phuck what you think about warnings.  I got warnings twice where I could have gotten tickets. And I probably got 6-8 tickets over the years.

One time, I asked and they let me go to drivers school and in exchange they would dismiss the ticket. They only do that if you have a good recent record (no other tickets) and have not been to driving school in the last 5 years.

I heard of a cop who only issued warnings. He explained that he never pulled anyone over whom he felt really "deserved" a ticket.

He was fired in a week. .

Anon: it varies by state, county, and what  judge decides. The cty. makes more $$ on fines than on traffic school fees.

That's really nice, but yes there is any reason.  That reason is called officer's discretion.

According to the cold hard written law, driving over the posted speed limit is strictly forbidden at all times.  But the letter of the law and the spirit of the law are sometimes very different things.  Lemmy explain, using my own experiences as an example...

On a warm autumn day, I was in a tremendous hurry to pick up my kid from school.  I was clocked on radar at 74 km/h in a 50 km/h zone.  Not only was the speed limit posted, but so were signs saying "community safety zone, fines increased" on that stretch of road.  The officer even showed me a memo from his boss which said "Rules for enforcement in safety zones:  No warnings, no discretionary reductions, NO EXCEPTIONS."  and I'm not using CAPS by accident.  The charge was over $400 and five naughty-naughty points, but I plead the sentence down to 95 bucks, no points and I had to write a safety article for the MTO monthly newsletter.  

Another time, middle of a summer day, I was stopped going 130 km/h in a 90 km/h zone.  I wasn't even the fastest car on the road, but I got stopped anyway.  The cop took all my documents (licence, insurance, registration, etc) back to his car and waited forever.  20 minutes later, he said "try to slow it down" and told me I was free to go.  When I asked him why he stopped me, he said "Everyone is driving like the Daytona 500 today, and I can't stop everyone.   But when I stopped you, over 300 people drove past and saw it.  That means at least 300 people slowed down for the next twenty minutes, which means I've done my job.".

• Peter

Speed limit signs are not 'warning' signs, they are regulatory signs.

SPEAKING OF RULES, YOU'VE BEEN REPORTED FOR A YAHOO VIOLATION. That would be chatting.