april asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Why do English people not use the word "the" like we do in USA? Why do they say mum and not mom?

Such as 'go to hospital" and not "go to the hospital"

What's "the" got to do with "mum" and "mom"??

All of this stuff gets asked AND ANSWERED about a million times a month. Why not look at previous answers before posting yet another question about the same old same old stuff?

I'm an American. Why do we say "go to school" "go to college" "go to jail" but "go to the office" "go to the hospital" "go to the theater"? Who knows? These things just happen.

• John P

That is just how we speak over here, in the land where English was in use long before any English or European person had been anywhere in North or South America. If you analyse speech patterns all across the USA you will find differences. In Britain there are differences within less than a hundred miles in forms of everyday expression and accent.   Anyway, I thought Americans used 'hospitalized'.

Some American forms are obsolete in Britain, such as 'gotten'. And some American forms come from German influences - many Germans migrated to the USA in the 18th and 19th centuries.

The language is known throughout the world as English, not American. It is Americans who have altered the way it is used and pronounced. I really have no idea why you think we do not use the definite article!

They DO use the word "the".  They say mum because mom IS mum and mum is mom.  Many people in the U.S. and Canada say mum, as I do.  Those who say mom sound very odd to me, yet the area of the country they come from, I suppose it is normal for them.  Pronunciation varies from state to state, province to province and county to county - you must live in a narrow hole to not know this.

because they don't know proper english like americans do