affordable meat substitute for non-meat eater?

I need to go on a diet and I think I would like to eat a lot less meat. What sort of things can I eat?

Preferably something I can buy that is ready to eat or requires little preparation. For instance, buying deli meat takes very little preparation time. Do the vegan/vegetarian eaters have anything similar.

I usually eat out if I feel the need for "real food". Or I get it at work in our lunch area.

(I'm lazy, I don't want to waste a lot of time cooking)

Also, I don't care if it has eggs or fish in it. I will still eat pepperoni and stuff like that with pizza. I'm not a devotee. I just need to make some changes.

If it can be kept outside of a refrigeration so I don't have to worry about it spoiling (my deli meat frequently spoils) that is even better.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • denise
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

'Quorn' do a variety of 'meatalikes' in different forms, Its made from 'mushroom myco protein', I sometimes buy it, and I'm not vegetarian!

They do ;- sausages, 'chicken breast' pieces, 'chicken strips, burgers, minced'meat', and some 'cold cuts'.

• 1 month ago

Vegetables.  If you're trying to cut down on meat and calories, the best thing you can eat is a combination of vegetables.  There really are no protein substitutions for a vegan that are comparable to meat protein.  Of course, you can consume a combination of different foods and mix in eggs and fish, which are great protein sources that have lower calories. 

• CB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It is NOT the meat that is making you fat it is all the carbs. Meat protein, high fiber grains keep you satisfied much longer and doesn't spike glucose. Better off eating a LOT more fresh vegetables (non-starchy) more whole grains products and severely limit carbs (breads, sweets, fruit juices, corn potatoes etc). Basically eat a balanced diet according to anyone of several dietary charts - ex: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healt...

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

well as Chiefs say Mushrooms meat for Veggies

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Janet
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Nothing that is non-meat AND healthy requires little preparation.

The factory made meat-substitutes and vegetarian are NOT healthy for you.

Eat vegetarian by eating legumes with rice, or with whole grains/whole wheat.  This can be as simple as peanut butter on whole wheat bread, or the hours of pre-soaking and slow cooking beans with herbs and spices to serve over rice.

it is a lot more complicated to be a vegetarian but if you wreck your health, you cannot get it back.

The only advantage to being a vegetarian is that beans-and-rice is a LOT cheaper than a piece of meat.

• 1 month ago

probably anything that dont have meat

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.