affordable meat substitute for non-meat eater?

I need to go on a diet and I think I would like to eat a lot less meat. What sort of things can I eat?

Preferably something I can buy that is ready to eat or requires little preparation. For instance, buying deli meat takes very little preparation time. Do the vegan/vegetarian eaters have anything similar.

I usually eat out if I feel the need for "real food". Or I get it at work in our lunch area.

(I'm lazy, I don't want to waste a lot of time cooking)

Also, I don't care if it has eggs or fish in it. I will still eat pepperoni and stuff like that with pizza. I'm not a devotee. I just need to make some changes.

If it can be kept outside of a refrigeration so I don't have to worry about it spoiling (my deli meat frequently spoils) that is even better.

• denise

'Quorn' do a variety of 'meatalikes' in different forms, Its made from 'mushroom myco protein', I sometimes buy it, and I'm not vegetarian!

They do ;- sausages, 'chicken breast' pieces, 'chicken strips, burgers, minced'meat', and some 'cold cuts'.

Vegetables.  If you're trying to cut down on meat and calories, the best thing you can eat is a combination of vegetables.  There really are no protein substitutions for a vegan that are comparable to meat protein.  Of course, you can consume a combination of different foods and mix in eggs and fish, which are great protein sources that have lower calories. 

• CB

It is NOT the meat that is making you fat it is all the carbs. Meat protein, high fiber grains keep you satisfied much longer and doesn't spike glucose. Better off eating a LOT more fresh vegetables (non-starchy) more whole grains products and severely limit carbs (breads, sweets, fruit juices, corn potatoes etc). Basically eat a balanced diet according to anyone of several dietary charts - ex: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healt...

well as Chiefs say Mushrooms meat for Veggies

• Janet

Nothing that is non-meat AND healthy requires little preparation.

The factory made meat-substitutes and vegetarian are NOT healthy for you.

Eat vegetarian by eating legumes with rice, or with whole grains/whole wheat.  This can be as simple as peanut butter on whole wheat bread, or the hours of pre-soaking and slow cooking beans with herbs and spices to serve over rice.

it is a lot more complicated to be a vegetarian but if you wreck your health, you cannot get it back.

The only advantage to being a vegetarian is that beans-and-rice is a LOT cheaper than a piece of meat.

probably anything that dont have meat