Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

People often say that driving is a privilege, not a right. But is that really the case?

Look at it this way:

I am an adult, 30 years old, who has an unrestricted drivers license.

I live on my own, I have not been drinking lately, and I own a car that is parked in my driveway as we speak.

Therefore, if I want to go to my car and drive somewhere right now, do I not have the right to do so?

its always been the case , you must think everyone doesnt need a licence .

Your question makes NO legal sense.  You were not born entitled to drive, that was not your right.  You have the privilege of driving because you have, apparently, applied for and received a drivers license which is in effect, and you have the appropriate registration and license plates.

I am former Homeland Security.  People argued with me all the time about their "rights" vs their "privilege."

• May

Yes.  That is really the case

you have a right to keep that thing parked right where it is. once it leaves there your "rights" do end because you've left you squatting territory you peseant fight so hard to keep.

its nice that you "live on your own"!

just what assumpions are you making with that statement? seriously. I've heard that before and I dont think you quite grasp what your saying because you seem to want to "leave where you live" and bring everything you own with you and you seem to think we are going to foot the bill.

People who loudly proclaim, "I KNOW MY RIGHTS!", seldom have any insight into their wrongs.

Source(s): The opposite of right is wrong
  • John P

You indeed have the legal right to drive, having passed a driving test. I too live alone, in Britain, and I drive from time to time. But I think the point is that driving a petrol (gas) or diesel powered vehicle is not good for the environment, and thus the 'right' should not be abused. 'Rights' are rarely 'absolute', in that when you use your rights that use sometimes has effects on our fellow humans.

Yes that's really the case.  That's why people (including cops and judges) say it, in fact.

Look at the details you posted.  You have a valid licence to operate the vehicle you own, which is required for operating that vehicle on public roads.  You're sober, which is also required for legal driving.  And you own the vehicle in question, which means you definitely do have the owner's consent to drive the vehicle.  That's also a legal requirement.

If you fail to meet any one of those conditions, you don't have the 'right' to drive.  And those aren't the only conditions, there's a whole book full of them.  You can't drive above the posted speed limit, and you're expected to know what that limit is even when it's not posted.  You're required to register and insure your vehicle all year long, even if you only drive on public roads twice per year.  You're not even allowed to remove your safety belt while driving.  

See how it works?  Rights and privileges both come responsibilities (people often forget that about rights), but there's still a difference.  Rights can't be legally taken away from you, but privileges can.  

• Jon

Exactly as you wrote, you can drive because you have a licence. You had to pass tests and meet medical requirements to get that license. There are several circumstances in which that licence could be suspended or cancelled.

None of that applies to anything which can be done as of right.

A right is something that can not be legally stopped, hindered, or prevented by the state/ government, state/ government official, or law enforcement. Or at least this is what right is supposed to be. 

No, you do not, because there is no "Right to drive" it is something you are trying to establish.