PREGNANT.. how to tell if cervix is closed ?

Ok so this may sound really stupid but I'm 9 weeks pregnant and after a miscarriage im scared to death its going to happen again. So have been checking my cervix..  but I dont know how to feel for it.. so i feel 2 like.. I'd say lip type bits that I can put my whole finger through I then come to something that feels hard.. with no hole.. I have drawn a bit of a picture to help explain what I mean.. is this a closed cervix? Should the lip things always be open.. I know I sound stupid but I actually have no idea 

• LizB

Please don't mess with your cervix, you don't want to introduce infection. Was your previous miscarriage due to incompetent cervix? If so, your OB could do cerclage to try to prevent it from happening again. If IC wasn't the cause, then the state of your cervix isn't going to be a good indicator of the state of this pregnancy. But if you're really worried you can ask your OB at your next appointment.

If your cervix was open, you would be leaking fluid.

I'm sorry for the loss of your previous baby. There is almost no way to prevent an early miscarriage as it is almost always due to something having gone wrong with the baby's development.

I would stop putting your fingers into your cervix as it can introduce infection.

Why don't you buy a speculum? They're quite inexpensive. Then, with a flashlight and a mirror, you could see everything inside.

But don't you think if your cervix was open that your water would break?