I live in the UK.  I’ve eaten grapefruits yesterday I picked up from Sainsbury’s on Sunday. I’m just thinking.. I didn’t run them under the ?

Tap before I cut them In half to eat. I did rub detol on the surface of them and then dried it becauee I was worried about covid. But I’m reading online now that things like bacteria and norovirus can live on fruit surfaces and when you cut them the surface bacteria can deep into the middle bit you eat. I’m worried I’ll get like a virus or E. coli from the grapefruits now.. I also buy whole melons I eat half of every day but don’t scrub the skin before cutting them.. what should I do? Do you wash your fruit outside before cutting or scrub them in the uk? 

Take your sink and fill it up and put two cups of Clorox bleach into it take the solution that's in the sink and put your fruit in to the solution for 1 minute. After you do that you can rinse the fruit off and cut it with a knife without any fear of bringing anything into contact with the fruit that you're eating that's going to hurt you

• Goerge

If I buy something that is traditionally dirty like celery, spinach or collard greens I will wash them prior to using them but most anything else I don't worry about. I am not in the UK.

I did just buy some bone in skinless chicken breasts and then I saw this story https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-19-chicken-wing... 

To be clear "running them under the tap" does absolutely nothing to SARS-CoV-2 other than give it a nice and cool bath. Its fatty outer layer laughs at your feeble attempts. It takes SOAP and water. 

Would I be worried if I were you? No. Stay conscientious like you have been? Yes.   

Maybe I am just pushing my luck, but if I buy fruit, I peel it if need be and eat it or if the peel can be consumed, I eat that too. I don't wash anything. Fruit is porous. If there is going to be a bacteria on it then it will be in it as the skin generally has a breach in it somewhere. Life is too short to be worrying about something that trivial.

• Girl

I don’t scrub the fruit peel, no not usually. It usually has chemicals on the surface to preserve the fruit but it shouldn’t be a major problem, as for viruses they don’t live on food for long. I’ve had fruit non scrubbed for so long and never ever had a problem!