AJ asked in PetsDogs · 4 months ago

Should I neuter my dog?

My dog has Cryptorchidism (he only has one ball). He is 5 years of age(human years). The other ball is either not developed or inside of him (we don’t know). I’m worried that the procedure might be dangerous asince the vet will be searching for the 2nd ball. I love my Toby just the way he is I don’t want him to become sad or change in any way but have to do this to prevent cancer in later life :-(.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago
    Favourite answer

Yes, I would strongly recommend that you get the dog castrated if you haven't already, due to the multiple benefits it brings:-

- indeed it prevents male dogs from developing testicular cancer, especially once they're older. The cost of neutering is far less than the costs of veterinary chemotherapy. Castration generally costs around a few hundred pounds at most, compared to chemotherapy costing thousands of pounds!

- it also stops them from developing testicular torsion, which obviously is extremely painful for them, as it would be for any other male animal.

- while it does change a male dog's behavior to some extent, it's for the better, not the worse. A dog's personality doesn't change from it, but there's lower levels of aggressive behaviors, since they're often triggered by the male hormone testosterone, and once a male dog's testicles are removed, testosterone is no longer produced.

- it also prevents them from scent marking with urine, which smells horrible. If a dog does this, the more you clean it up, the more the dog will repeatedly do it, in an attempt to put the scent back.

- it prevents them from straying to find a mate, which could potentially result in the dog becoming lost, getting hit by traffic and severely hurt, or getting stolen very easily.

- it also means that they're far easier to keep under control in public, since they won't try to get to a female who's in season, so there's less risk of the dog potentially harming someone else, which could otherwise result in you being prosecuted and having the dog confiscated, since failing to keep a dog under control is a criminal offence.

- it also prevents the costs of consequences of having puppies. It's been known for uncastrated male dogs to go as far as literally, physically breaking doors and gates down in order to get to a female dog who is in season. Having puppies is expensive, and costs can add up very quickly. When a female is in labor, it's not always what gets seen in a Disney movie, and owners need to be prepared for anything.

- it also helps with the problem of over population. The number of animals in re-homing centers far outnumber the amount of available homes, which is why unless they are lucky enough to end up in a non-destruction shelter, many of them are euthanized as a result. Obviously a male dog who has been castrated cannot sire puppies, even if they live with a female dog who hasn't been spayed. Also know that there's no medical reason why a male dog needs to sire a litter of puppies before they are castrated.

- if your dog has got any hereditary disorders (not that I'm saying he has) - like hip dysplacia or Von Willebrand disease - it stops puppies being born with these problems, which is kinder and easier to prevent than it is to treat. 

- it prevents them from humping, both people to show dominance, and items in the home, like furniture.

- it also means that training a dog is easier too, as they then focus more on the task at hand, because their attention isn't divided between the training and their balls. 

The dog obviously will be given anesthetic, and any discomfort he has will only last for a couple of days. There is a risk as with any kind of surgery, but the complications are rare.

Hope this helps.

• JenVT
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Yes, please do. It won't change his personality or energy level.

• 4 months ago

Cryptorchidism is when both testicals don't drop.  Monorchid is when only one drops.  Yes, it is wise to get him neutered so there is no chance of reproduction.  It is a major fault.

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Please neuter him.  This is a hereditary thing and can be passed on to any male puppies.  Breeders always neuter a cryptorchidism dog.  Yes it will be more invasive  surgery to find the other testicle but your dog should have it done.  Ask the vet how do they find it - by x-ray or exploratory surgery.  It won't be anymore dangerous then a normal spaying.  Vets know what they are doing.  He is far more prone to cancer if you don't neuter him.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

yes its important this is done

• 4 months ago

It should have been done long before now as the second one can get cancerous.  It's not ideal because as you say it isn't an easy operation however it is necessary or risk losing him with cancer very young. 

Another reason why you shouldn't go to backyard breeders to buy dogs as this is an hereditary issue. 

• 4 months ago

take the advice of the dogs vet in that case

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Yes’m, you just should.

• 4 months ago

The undescended testicle puts him at increased risk of cancer.   Get him neutered

• 4 months ago

yes … and  yourself  also … have  a  good  day?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.