Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Van sometimes doesn't start?

I took it to jiffy lube and asked if they could check on the alternator. They hooked it up and checked the charge and said it was fine. 

But I'm not entirely sure. I'm just not sure what else could it be if it's not the alternator? 

I might be starting a delivery job soon and my car needs to be reliable. 

I'm thinking of buying a portable jumpstarted for now. But worried it may not be good for my van. 

It's a 2003 Chrysler voyager. 120,000 miles

I just bought a new battery 

• M.

When you say "doesn't start", do you mean the starter does not turn the engine, OR, the starter turns the engine but the engine will not run? 

Can't start, won't start is rather ambiguous. 

-Engine overhaul mechanic and general automotive mechanic since 1972

You can get a compact battery pack for $30, just get the well-reviewed one. The one I have comes with a voltmeter integrated in it, you can then rule out the battery, if you are above 12V and you still don't start. You might also have a parasitic drain (if the voltage falls below 12V after the car was left alone for a few days).

• Erik

If a car doesn't start, the two most likely problems are the battery and the starter.  Any auto parts store can check your battery for free.  When the battery is dying, it's usually easy to detect, because it doesn't happen in one day.  It starts weaker and weaker over time.

If your starter doesn't start, you can try banging on it with a wrench or a tire iron.  You may have to do it several times before it finally starts.  Changing the starter is usually pretty easy, look up on Youtube how to do it.  You can also get a used one on ebay cheaply.

I agree with getting one of those booster batteries.  They're more expensive than cables, but you don't need help from anyone.  Don't cheap out though, get the most powerful one they have.  I have one, and although I have started my own car, it almost never works on someone else's car.  Keep in mind that if the starter is the problem, this won't help.

Try starting in neutral instead of park next time it acts up. If that works, the neutral safety switch could be worn out. Also check the brake switch is working.

Get the battery and starter checked.

Did the idiots check the battery too?! Go to any Auto Zone or Advance Auto and get the battery and charging system checked out for free.