Lily asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 5 months ago

how do you recommend I become vegetarian? any good resources and tips?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago
    Favourite answer

1. Reasons- WHY do you want to be a vegetarian? Health? Animal rights? Something else? Look into your reasons of why you want to do this. You will fail horribly if you're becoming one because of pressure by friends and family, for instance.

2. What kind of vegetarian do you want to be? Do you still want to consume dairy products and eggs? Only dairy, no eggs? Eggs, no dairy? You would do well to ask yourself this, as well.

3. If you decide to just be the traditional vegetarian, meaning no meat, but eating products that still come from animals, you'll have little to do as far as finding suitable replacements for things like baked goods, milk in cereals, eggs for breakfast, etc. If you plan on cutting out one or the other, prepare to spend a little more on items like oat, soy, and rice milks, and having to test out egg and butter replacements in baked goods. Luckily, the internet is CHOCK FULL of great vegetarian recipes and help in this area. A good egg replacement in most baked goods is half a mashed banana or a "flax egg," which is just flax seeds mixed with water, for example.

4. Not all vegetarian options are created equal. Vegetarian quick foods and fast foods are JUST AS bad for you as anything with meat, sometimes moreso. They add a lot of sugar and chemicals to make it taste good. Being a vegetarian doesn't automatically mean healthy. I had a friend that was a vegetarian and she weighed over 300 lbs. She ate nothing but garbage foods all day, every day, but she thought that holding the title of "vegetarian" meant she was healthier. She just didn't eat meat. She still ate bread, pasta, rice, poptarts, french fries, cakes, pies, cookies, but iT dOsEn'T hAvE mEaT. Yeah, one of those...

5. Try to do a few vegetarian options a week starting out and see if you like it. It's easy to do. I eat vegetarian all the time without meaning to. See if it sticks, find some recipes that you like that are easy to prepare and make ahead of time. Anyone on ANY diet can benefit from meal prepping. Along with this, take it slow. Don't try and cut yourself off immediately.

6. Explore new flavors as often as you can. Indians are KNOWN for being primarily vegetarian; they've been doing in for a LOOOOOOOONG time, so check out their cuisine.

7. Easy does it. It's SO EASY to take out meat and fill in with veggies. No need to overcomplicate it. And everything is really easy to make at home yourself. You can find a million recipes for replacements. You liked burgers? Use a whole mushroom or make your own black bean patty for the meat.

8. It's true that some meat items cannot be replicated, whether it be taste or what goes into a recipe. You can fiddle around with "meat" or tofu if you like and see if it's to your liking, but some people will steer clear of a recipe they used to like altogether. You can try, but they all won't be winners, unfortunately.

9. THE DOWNSIDE- Many people who switch will crave meat. A lot. They may overeat garbage to compensate. This happens. They crave meat, won't eat it, then eat a whole box of Poptarts. Yikes. If you are eating a well-rounded vegetarian diet that's filling and yummy, chances are, you won't crave meat as much as you think. This also goes back to your REASONS. Stick to them. Be what you are with conviction.

10. The OTHER downside- So you're out to dinner and it slips: you're a vegetarian now. Prepare for teasing, taunting, jokes, the purposely taking a huge bite out of something meaty and over-exaggerating the taste of it, the "well I couldn't LIVE without BACON!", the lot. But stay strong. You don't owe anyone an explanation on YOUR life choices. Remember that, but also remember this: you don't have to constantly rub it in people's faces, either. This can also get tricky when your friends and family have get togethers and holidays. They are used to everyone eating meat and now YOU'RE the hold out. They don't OWE you a vegetarian dish, if it's at their home. Bring your own food, or if they ask, you may then request something. Don't hold the attitude that your diet change entitles you special treatment from others. This is YOUR choice, not theirs, and they don't have to accommodate you. If it's their home, then it's their food. If it's YOUR home, then it's YOUR food. But I can tell you, the nicer you are about it, the more people will be willing to accommodate you.

11. DO NOT TRY AND CONVERT PEOPLE, for the LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT DO THIS. Again, YOUR choice and good for you. Let people eat. You eat what you want.

• RJ
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Start gradually, reducing your consumption of animal protein over a period of time.  If you eat animal protein every day, then don't eat animal protein for one day in a week.  Then start to limit your eating of animal protein to three days a week, etc., until you no longer eat animal protein every day.  

Source(s): I have been eating meat for the first 60 years of my life before I became a vegetarian four years ago.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

You don't need and recommendations, resources or tips. Just don't eat meat or anything made from it.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Remove the part of your brain that controls, logic and commons sense - should be easy after that.....

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Presuming you want to be vegetarian, you would already be heading in that direction with your diet so none of this should come as any surprise or huge change.  You simply keep reducing your consumption of flesh while increasing your consumption of other sources of protein.

Be aware that there are lots of fat vegetarians with high cholesterol out there.  Many eat way too much cheese.   Bagels and cream cheese.  Mac & cheese.  Grilled cheese.  Cheese enchiladas.    None of this is healthy compared to lean protein sources like fish and chicken breast.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.